Posted By: lindap iressa - 09-25-2004 12:49 AM
My mom had a recurrence in 6/04 w/ a tumor on her carotid artery. She started Iressa( 250 mg. 1x/ day) 7/26/04 after the Dr. gave her 2-6 months to live. The latest CT scan shows the tumor has not grown , so her Dr. recommends continuing the Iressa. She has had diarreah, peeling fingers, acne on her face and irritation of her eyes, as well as fatigue.We are hopeful that the Iressa will actually shrink the tumor.
Also, we sent her records to People Against Cancer- they have a website. For $450 they looked at her records and send a 200+ pg. booklet outlining a treatment plan called the Stockholm Protocol- all organic veggies, fruits, oills, vitamin supplements. Has anyone heard of it? Thanks!Linda
Posted By: Debbie Domer/Caregiver Re: iressa - 09-25-2004 10:52 PM
Hey Linda,
Welcome! Hope the Iressa continues to shrink the tumor. Where in Maryland are you? I recently moved from Columbia, MD to Birmingham, Alabama. We still go back once a month for Dan to have his oncology checkups at the University of Maryland. We have been very happy with this facility...where is your mom being treated? I will pray for you and your mom.
God bless,
Debbie
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: iressa - 09-25-2004 11:35 PM
People Against Cancer rates being on the "Quackwatch list" and there is much to say against this organization that provides people, for exhorbitant fees, alternative treatments, useless booklets and over priced water filters, that have no documented help for cancer patients. Rather than list everything negative about them here, I suggest that you go to the resources page on the main OCF website and scan down until you find the link for Quack Watch. Go to their site and read it all. Too many people fall prey to these kinds of organizations who sell unproven ideas and products to those in need, despirate for an answer. I wish I had something more positive to say to you about this.
Posted By: minniea Re: iressa - 09-25-2004 11:39 PM
I checked out this website and it made me uncomfortable.
I wish your mother well and that the tumor stays under control.
Minnie
Posted By: Gary Re: iressa - 09-27-2004 12:16 AM
Actually Brian they are listed in quackwatch - here's the link:

http://www.quackwatch.org/04ConsumerEducation/Nonrecorg/pac.html

Sorry Linda they ripped you off.
Posted By: ChuckF Re: iressa - 09-27-2004 10:48 PM
Linda, I've been on Iressa now for 10 months, and can tell you at least from my experience that the side effects subsided significantly in a relatively short period of time. The skin rash cleared up in about two months, as did the diarhea. I still get an occasional bout of diarhea, but it's controllable with Imodium.
I didn't experience eye irritation, but remember a warning to not ever wear contacts while taking Iressa, so I guess it's normal.
I hope it will be beneficial in her battle. you will both be in my prayers.

Chuck
Posted By: Robr Re: iressa - 09-28-2004 02:12 PM
Linda,

I was on Iressa as well. I had all the symptoms you described but mine did not go away it got worse. I had to go off the trial.

I hope that your moms tumor continues to shrink. Iressa is great stuff. I wish I could continue with the trial if only for piece of mind.

Good luck.
Robert
Posted By: lindag Re: iressa - 07-14-2005 06:36 PM
This is Lindap-I now go by Lindag-long story. My mom took Iressa every day from 7/04-3/05 and the tumor went away completely. Unfortunately, her doc-Dr. Cullen at univ. Of Md. - a great Dr.- said she could take it every other day b/c of the side effects, and the tumor has returned. She's now back to taking it every day but next week we'll see Dr. Cullen and he may want to put her on different chemo.She was originally told by a doc at Hopkins that she'd be dead by 9/4 , so she's happy that Iressa gave her that much more time. Thanks for your info. Linda
Posted By: Gary Re: iressa - 07-14-2005 08:34 PM
Maybe she can get on Erbitux.
Posted By: lindag Re: iressa - 07-17-2005 10:37 PM
Thanks Gary-we see the oncologist Friday so I'll ask about it.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum