Posted By: didier Morphine Side Effects - 08-17-2004 12:03 AM
My dad was told to double his morphine sulfate dosage from 15 mg to 30 mg. Two issues have arisen: the increased dosage has done nothing to help alleviate the pain, and it has affected his ability to concentrate. In a second he can forget what he was doing. Has anyone experienced this type of reaction? I'm going to email the doc tonight with the hope that she offers another drug option for him. I f*cking hate cancer. Thanks.
D
Posted By: Erik Kleiva Re: Morphine Side Effects - 08-17-2004 12:59 AM
I always had problems with all the opiates. I just like to be clear headed. The constipation made me sick also. I agree, I hate this f-ing disease. It seems to be all around us. My best to your parents!
Posted By: Gary Re: Morphine Side Effects - 08-17-2004 02:25 AM
I can't say that I major problems with morphine. I also took 30 mg for breakthrough pain (in addition to the fentanyl patches). I don't remember ever even getting a buzz off the stuff. It did cause constipation and that made me sick but it was better than the pain and besides I didn't had a PEG so pain management was pretty vital. Some people here have had really severe reactions to the morphine. It is very fast acting and generally handy for that purpose. Maybe my memory has improved now that I don't take it anymore. It is a narcotic after all - it's supposed to have some side effects.
I would be more concerned about that fact it's not relieving his pain - that's a serious issue. Maybe oxycontin would work better - I would run that by the doctor. Effective pain management is a basic patient right.
Posted By: Debbie Domer/Caregiver Re: Morphine Side Effects - 08-17-2004 10:18 AM
Didier,
I agree with Gary...Oxycontin helped Dan so much with pain. He also used Duragesic patches (ranging from 25 mg. to 100 mg. and you can go higher) that helped. He did have major constipation problems in the beginning but got it under control. I hope they can get the pain under control and your dad can keep his mental function.
God bless,
Debbie
Posted By: Kris Re: Morphine Side Effects - 08-17-2004 11:05 AM
Didier,
The Oxycontin and Duragesic patches worked for me also. Didn't have problems with constipation at all. You might ask your doctor about that combination. My heart goes out to you. You have had quite a year taking care of mom and dad. You take care of yourself too! - Kris
Posted By: Daniel Bogan Re: Morphine Side Effects - 08-17-2004 01:29 PM
Hi Didier,

My hats off to you for the care and love you give your parents. It leaps off your postings as clear as a bell. They can be proud of the job they did raising you.

I have no knowledge of the drugs you mention other than what I've read on this forum. I have Hydrocone for any pain I have. They tend to make you tired, I also take a generic Prozac, Lorazapam and Clonazapam.

I'm sure someone will post with the answers you seek. My best to your parents and you.

Danny Boy
Posted By: Uptown Re: Morphine Side Effects - 08-17-2004 01:36 PM
Didier,

I get some confusion, inability to concentrate and reason with morphine and demerol. I have also experienced memory lapses off and on but I attribute that more to the radiation and chemo. I also never have gotten the pain relief I expected from morphine alone. It seems to hit hard at first but not last very long. The patches worked best for me and I had none of the mental issues with morhpine. When I worked in a nursing home while in college, I noticed more memory and concentration issues with elderly people when they had morphine.

Ed
Posted By: didier Re: Morphine Side Effects - 08-18-2004 11:39 AM
Thanks everyone for your responses. The doc called my dad in response to my emails, and when she asked how his pain was, he told her he was comfortable. I don't get it. He tells me he's not comfortable and that he's not able to concentrate, yet he's stoic with the doc. He tells me he doesn't want to be a bother to them. Arrgh.
Posted By: Gary Re: Morphine Side Effects - 08-18-2004 05:31 PM
The way I would handle it is to ask your dad what his pain level is from 1 to 10 then call the doctor and handle it yourself. I had to micromanage every aspect of my fathers care. He would do the exact same thing your dad did. He didn't like the idea of being sedated - he wanted to be in control - a common issue with seniors.

You actually HAVE his doctors email address?!?! They usually NEVER give that out. You may have to stress that you are the patient advocate and they should be talking to you for the straight scoop.
Posted By: swati Re: Morphine Side Effects - 08-19-2004 04:06 AM
Didier,
I feel for you and I know how frustrating this time must be. I am taking care of my father as well, and similarly he would tell the doctors he was ok and as soon as we would get home, I could see how much pain he was in. So in a case like this asking your father from a level of 1 to 10 is a good assessment. I told the doctors aside from what my father was saying how much pain he
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum