Posted By: sandy4jo Salivart - 07-19-2004 05:40 PM
Can anyone give me some feedback on Salivart? I sometimes use Oral Balance at work but, if the Salivart works as good or better, it would sure be easier coating my tongue with a spray than a gel. It's embarrassing to be training somebody and have to stop every 5 minutes for a sip of water or to put the gel on my tongue. Also, how long does the Biotene mouth wash last?

Thanks for your input and advice.
Sandy
Posted By: Mark Re: Salivart - 07-19-2004 06:36 PM
I found Salivart to be thin and expensive. My best results have been with Biotene mouthwash, a small sip then swish and spit (I have heard that swallowing a small amount won't hurt and I confess that I have done it that way). The consistancy of the Biotene works well for me. I have several small "dropper bottles" which I got from the pharmacist (empty) which I filled with Biotene to carry with me in my pocket and for the car. One squirt is enough for a while at a time.

You might find that having the spray can of Salivart is more discrete and less bothersome to the people around you.
Posted By: sandy4jo Re: Salivart - 07-20-2004 07:26 AM
Thanks, Mark.....I'll put it on my drug store list TODAY.
Sandy
Posted By: Sabrina Re: Salivart - 07-21-2004 07:55 AM
The last time I tried Salivart, my taste buds weren't working. After reading your post, I tried it. Wow is that stuff nasty. I definitely prefer the Biotene gel. Toothette also has a mouth moisturizer that I like. It has a hint of mint in it, to help freshen the breath. Those mints and strips bring tears to my eyes now, so that is the perfect alternative.

Sabrina
Posted By: Mark Re: Salivart - 07-21-2004 05:46 PM
Oh yeah Big Tears! My youngest son gave me a "strip" to try and the damn thing stuck to the roof of my mouth then proceeded to start on fire. It sounds funny but it really wasn't.
Posted By: Sabrina Re: Salivart - 07-21-2004 07:54 PM
Mark - I'm so sorry, but I had to laugh. Jim and I were on the highway w/o water and I tried a half of one. My face turned bright red, tears down my cheeks, and I kept saying "ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod" as I rocked in my seat. Everytime I think back to it, I try to imagine what other drivers must have thought of my spectacle. Something to the effect of "We've got a live one here folks" comes to mind.

Sabrina
Posted By: Mark Re: Salivart - 07-22-2004 01:59 AM
Just don't try this at home! We are trained professionals. laugh
Posted By: ssax Re: Salivart - 08-02-2004 07:42 AM
Interesting comments. I've tried the Biotene gel but find it much too thick to spread easily around my mouth. So, I end up diluting it with a little bit of water which, of course, means that the coating wears off quickly.

I prefer Salivart despite its expense, about $10/little can. I don't have much taste yet so however it tastes eludes me, but I find it much easier to coat the inside of my mouth. Given Mark's recommendaton for the Biotene mouthwash, that's next on my list of something to try. - Sheldon
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum