Posted By: abs Tracheotomy during radiation? - 06-08-2004 09:49 AM
My brother had a radical neck disection 7 weeks ago...he is getting all his teeth pulled tomorrow...and then will start on a 7 week rad txs.

The surgeon put in a trach as a precaution...and he wanted to take it out...but the radiology oncologist says it has to stay in until after radiation treatments.

This is causing my brother alot of trouble and is uncompoftable...just wondering how commom
this is.

Thanks!
Posted By: Carol L Re: Tracheotomy during radiation? - 06-08-2004 10:15 AM
Hi, I am so sorry your brother has to go thru this. I had the trach for the entire hospital stay (11 days) but they took it out before I left, didn't have to deal with it thru radiation. I am sorry I cannot help you with this. God Bless you and your brother, Carol
Posted By: sbk Re: Tracheotomy during radiation? - 06-09-2004 02:37 PM
I feel for your brother...the trach is a big challenge...my husband is now in week 4/6 of radiation and he is really glad he kept the trach in (though he really wanted it out before radiation)...with the trach his radiation oncologist was able to use a mouth bite and be a bit more aggressive ... john is as comfortable as possible and "uses the trach to breath" only during radiation...now the trach is difficult in that it causes irritation and makes sleeping harder...please let me know if I can help in any way... take care and best to you and your brother..
Sara
Posted By: nancyt Re: Tracheotomy during radiation? - 06-10-2004 06:37 AM
Hi, I had my trach and feeding tube "installed" when I underwent my total glossectomy and left / right neck dissection in July 2003. Although the trach was sometimes uncomfortable (especially during the hot, humid summer days) it never really bothered me too much (I guess I was lucky). I had the trach for 8 1/2 months and just recently had it removed. I must say, though, that I'm glad I had it, and the feeding tube, while undergoing chemo / rad treatments. Tell you brother to hang in there - it does get better - just takes a little time.

Hugs and prayers your way,

Nancy
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum