Posted By: sbk Tracheostomy - 04-27-2004 10:45 AM
Hello all,

Thank you for all your replies about chemo...so very helpful.

I'm wondering if I can ask for tips on trach care...my husband had a trach placed with his radicak neck surgery and will keep it in for teh duration of chemo/radiation treatment...He is going back to work and at times the coughing issue is a bit of a challenge...not really a big deal, but any advice would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks so much and my best to all,
Sara
Posted By: minniea Re: Tracheostomy - 04-27-2004 01:36 PM
Hi Sara,
I only had my trach for a few days so can't offer much advice on it. But, I was wondering why he has to keep it for such a long time??
Minnie
Posted By: Jeepster Re: Tracheostomy - 04-27-2004 10:36 PM
Don still has his trach since they placed it right before surgery on the 12th. He already had rad/chemo. I thought the trach would be a big issue too but turns out not to tough to handle the care. Saline irrigation a few times a day seems to really cut down on the coughing and secretions.( after the initial of coarse) While the canula soaks in peroxide. A good swabbing with saline a few times a day to clean it up and make him more comfortable in "public" and I put a good balm on his chest to keep the skin protection "from the elements" then slide a clean split gauze up snug between the trach and skin. Snug up the tie if the gauze is too loose. Other than that...we can't wait till it's gone,(less maintainance while we have other areas to work on) maybe Thursday. Good luck Sara
Posted By: sbk Re: Tracheostomy - 04-28-2004 01:56 PM
Hi Minnie and Jeepster,
Thanks for the info...John had his trach placed w/ surgery and beacuse he is just starting chemo radiation (stage 3)....his docs think that he will have less trouble w/ edema if he keeps the trach in...thanks for the tips Jeepster...it will be good to have it gone..but we can wait!
Take care, Sara
Posted By: Gary Re: Tracheostomy - 04-28-2004 02:59 PM
He's going to have a trach for more than 6 weeks?!?! Seems like a long time. Of course what do I know - I never had one.

He's a very brave man going to work through all of this - I couldn't. I was disabled for a good part of a year and I "only" had radiation and chemo.
Posted By: Carol L Re: Tracheostomy - 04-28-2004 07:35 PM
On the trach subject, I noticed the past couple of weeks, that something kind of popped up on my trach scar...hard to describe, sort of like a swirly looking bump, but it had pus in it. I had my throat scoped three weeks ago cuz I was feeling a little tightness and that came out fine. After that I notice this swirly bump on the trach scar getting bigger and feeling sore, I saw my Oncologist and oral surgeon yesterday and they had it removed and are doing a biopsy on it. They both thought it looked like an abscess, possibly from leftover stitches from surgery...I am hoping and praying that is all it is. I go back next Tuesday to have the new stitches taken out and get the results of biopsy. Has anyone else had this experience? Thanks
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum