Posted By: Debbie Domer/Caregiver Flouride trays - 05-01-2004 10:08 PM
Brian and others - I just wanted to thank you for your information concerning the flouride trays I said were a waste of money for Dan because he wasn't able to use them throughout treatment and weeks afterwards. I read him the posts from everyone, and we decided it was in his best interest to try again at least a little bit each evening. It's been hard enough trying to fight this horrible cancer...would like to avoid long term dental problems due to the radiation.
Again, just wanted to say thanks!!
Debbie
Posted By: Darrell G. Rakestraw Re: Flouride trays - 05-02-2004 10:26 AM
I know what you mean... I have been unable to use mine, gags me... I Lack another week in therapy.
Posted By: Uptown Re: Flouride trays - 05-02-2004 11:13 AM
My dentist says Denta 5000 Plus is just as effective but from the posts I am not sure. You use about a pea size amount and brush every night before bed. You have to have a prescription to get it.

Ed
Posted By: Debbie Domer/Caregiver Re: Flouride trays - 05-02-2004 09:28 PM
We have also just purchased Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash and Dan really likes that, too. So if you are in need of some good, non-alcohol products, Biotene is pretty good.
Deb
Posted By: John N Re: Flouride trays - 05-03-2004 10:17 AM
I also found Biotene mouthwash works well before I go to bed to reduce the dry mouth and scratchy throat during or after radiation. It help get me to sleep for a while before I wake up with the dry mouth. So it helps initially.
Posted By: KirkGeorgia Re: Flouride trays - 05-03-2004 02:11 PM
I use the flouride trays for about 10 minutes before bed (I read to take my mind off of the situation) and I use the Biotene toothpaste before. I haven't tried the Biotene mouthwash (even though my wife bought it for me it has sat in the medicine cabinet because you get sick and tired of all of the stuff you have to do what with pain pills, trays, antibiotics, pegs, etc, etc, etc, you have to say enough somewhere). I will try the mouthwash now, though, if you all say it is so good. Thanks, Kirk Georgia
Posted By: KirkGeorgia Re: Flouride trays - 05-03-2004 02:11 PM
I use the flouride trays for about 10 minutes before bed (I read to take my mind off of the situation) and I use the Biotene toothpaste before. I haven't tried the Biotene mouthwash (even though my wife bought it for me it has sat in the medicine cabinet because you get sick and tired of all of the stuff you have to do what with pain pills, trays, antibiotics, pegs, etc, etc, etc, you have to say enough somewhere). I will try the mouthwash now, though, if you all say it is so good. Thanks, Kirk Georgia
Posted By: Daniel Bogan Re: Flouride trays - 05-05-2004 07:47 PM
Hi Debbie,

I have ben using the Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash since August and have had no problems.
I had a crown prep last week and get the Crown put on next week. I had two small cavities that he is going to fix next week also. Gary warned me about good dental hygene and I have been very
faithful in brushing and using the mouthwash at least three times per day.
How is Dan doing? I have been thinking about both of you and I say a prayer for him every day. He is lucky to have you as a caregiver.
I hope you both can attend the reunion later this year. I am looking forward to meeting so many members. Saving up alot of hugs.

Best of luck to you and Dan, Danny Boy
Posted By: Kris Re: Flouride trays - 05-06-2004 01:52 PM
Debbi-
I've been using the Biotene gum if I'm stuck in a meeting and can't brush my teeth after a meal. I usually use the Biotene toothpaste during the day. Besides mouthwash they also make a gel that I have also used that keeps my mouth pretty moist for a couple of hours. Haven't been using the flouride trays as that stuff still gags me 20 months out from treatment. But I do use a perscription flouride toothpast every evening. Have not had cavities in 2 years. Since reading these posts though I think I'll try the trays again. Maybe I just put it on to heavy. - Kris
Posted By: nancyt Re: Flouride trays - 05-06-2004 06:42 PM
Hi, I'm new here but wanted to add my 2 cents worth. I had a total glossectomy in July 2003 with left and right neck dissection. I have been using the fluoride trays every night for about 30 minutes before bed. I guess all people really are different because they (and the fluoride) don't make me gag so I guess I'm pretty lucky. I haven't tried any of the biotene products but I do brush my teeth with SF 5000 plus toothpaste (by prescription only). So far all is well at the dentists office. Anyway, just wanted to add something to this very helpful website. I plan to post something to the "introduction" section soon so as to introduce myself to all of you and get your input on some questions I've been mulling around in my brain. Thanks! Nancy
Posted By: Sabrina Re: Flouride trays - 05-07-2004 10:22 AM
Yet another suggestion....A former co-worker of mine has a father that's gone through our fun and games. His dentist prescribed him Flouridex toothpaste.

Sabrina
Posted By: jones11201 Re: Flouride trays - 05-07-2004 04:00 PM
Hello
Name is John as you already know.
Currently I take care of my grand father who has oral cancer that has spead to his lung and spine. We have basically given up on everything. Now were trying two new things and I was hoping to get some feed back. The treatments we are considering are polyMVA and MATASTA-B(www.matastablocker.com). Can any one shead any information about these things. They both are expensive but the Poly seems a strange product. I cant really understand the notion of puting metals in your body. I've had skin cancer and took a natural approach. So far so good . As for my grand father chemo was rough and he's just really disappointed. Any one with any info may contact me directly at my email [email protected]. God bless every one
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum