Posted By: cathyl Swallowing question - 04-10-2004 01:28 PM
I had my surgery (partial glossectomy, forearm flap and neck dissection just over 3 weeks ago. When I left the hospital Mar 27th I didn;t feel too bad -- was managing meal replacement shakes, yogurt, pudding and cream soups. However, I've been having trouble with my swallowing the last couple of days. Thick stuff (pudding) won't go down and I have to swallow the meal replacements in a funny double swallow to get them down. And now I have to visit the bathroom every 2 or 3 golps to spit out the thick saliva. Have any of you had the same experience? Please tell me it gets better -- I can be a bit impatient at times!
Posted By: gnelson Re: Swallowing question - 04-14-2004 11:16 AM
Hi. I am answering this to bring it to the top again. I had the forearm flap to line the floor of my mouth, but I had a Peg tube.I was not allowed to eat by mouth for 6 weeks or more. The Peg is a great way to keep nutrition in your body while you heal. I am puzzled why Doctors are not giving Pegs to patients who have oral surgery of this level.Anyway maybe someone will see this again who has had your problem and answer.
Posted By: Carol L Re: Swallowing question - 04-18-2004 07:43 PM
I have a question to anyone that had a trach, I am almost two years out from surgery, the scar tissue around the trach scar has felt really strange the past few weeks. I went to the oncologist and surgeon, they checked me and said it is scar tissue and/or cartilage, I feel a lump under the outward scar area, does anyone else feel it? Thanks!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum