Posted By: Anonymous Concurrent Radiation/Chemo - 07-06-2002 09:55 PM
Since we are on the subject, I'd like to hear from others who have had concurrent rad/chemo or chemo after their radiation.

Specifically I'd like to know what chemotherapy agents were used. We have our first appointment with the medical oncologist Tuesday so I'm getting prepared.

Thanks.

Cynthia
Posted By: Donna Re: Concurrent Radiation/Chemo - 07-07-2002 12:52 PM
Cynthia.....I had both chemo and RAD at the same time and it is a difficult treatment regime. I was very sick and for a very long time after treatment was completed.

My chemo drugs were 5fu and cisplation. However, after the second round of the cisplation I noticed some hearing loss with certain pitches and they immediately switched my chemo cocktail---I just don't remember what they switched it to. I still suffered the high pitch hearing loss and am still bothered by it today. I did have my hearing tested after treatment and it came back "normal range hearing functionability " so I was lucky.

If you'd like to e-mail me personally with some questions I'd be glad to answer them the best I can. [email protected] Sincerely, Donna
Posted By: Joanna Re: Concurrent Radiation/Chemo - 07-07-2002 04:30 PM
After the hearing scare with Cisplatin (Donna and I are rare and special!) I was switched to Taxol and Carboplatin. Weekly instead of every three weeks, concurrent with radiation. Seriously, about the hearing thing, the oncologist, in his 50's, said it has been 20+ years since he has had anyone experience a hearing problem. As far as how I felt on Cisplatin, I was just out of it for three days with all the pills they pushed at me to keep me from vomiting. Slept through all my rad treatments, which are 40 minutes long.
Joanna
P.S. Thanks, Cynthia, for the WBC info.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum