Posted By: cougardad62 PEG Tube REMOVAL - 08-05-2017 06:45 PM
Is this complicated or simple?
Posted By: ChristineB Re: PEG Tube REMOVAL - 08-05-2017 08:54 PM
Its not a big deal. Takes only a couple seconds done right in the doctors office. To me, it was a sharp intense pain that lasted only a few seconds and then poof the pain was gone and I instantly felt better. Maybe I would have a different answer if I had been prepared. My doc said he'll count to 3 then pull it. He fibbed!!! He pulled on 2 and I was shocked. Over the years other members have had varying responses, some said it hurt like heck and others said it was no biggy. It was actually much worse pain when it was first put in, I was sore for days. I hope you are one who goes thru it without any discomfort. Please let me know how you make out.

Good luck!!!!
Posted By: sooner Re: PEG Tube REMOVAL - 08-06-2017 02:10 AM
My husband had his removed yesterday. It ended up that my husband was due for a colonoscopy. The GI doc suggested that he have his tube out while he was sedated for that procedure. In the end the GI said that due to some issues with the initial insertion he was kind of glad it was removed under sedation. He said be could have done it in the office as Christine described but he said it would have been pretty uncomfortable. Before we decided to do it with the colonoscopy, the GI told us to expect a moment of WOW discomfort please make it stop, but that it would be over before you knew it and have a second thought. Today my husband took a motorcycle ride and has had no discharge from it. The GI told us to expect it to take about 4 days for the stoma to close back up.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum