Posted By: klrm Emory Chemoprevention Study - 04-10-2017 08:18 PM
Not sure if this is the best forum for this post, so let me know if I should re-post somewhere else.

I am curious if anyone is enrolled in the chemoprevention study with Dr Shin at Emory University? I am meeting with Dr Shin on Thursday to learn more about the study and would appreciate hearing from anyone that is/has participated.

Thanks.
Posted By: PaulB Re: Emory Chemoprevention Study - 04-10-2017 11:05 PM
As mentioned, I know of Dr. Dong Moon Shin through my own research, and have not gone there as I'm in NYC, and was treated there. I have read a number of years ago about his research into chemoprevention since I had a number of recurrences, and was interested. Two that I recall were Green Tea and Erlotinib (Tarceva). My oncologist looked into Tarceva, and said it wasn't for me. After I was treated at another cancer center by a different Oncologist, I asked again about Tarceva in chemoprevention, and was told that Tarceva was found not to work, at least in that. That was about 4 years ago, so things could have changed, different dosages, combinations, and heard of other ideas in chemoprevention, but haven't looked into it in a while.

Here is an article on Tarceva in chemoprevention, which was disappointing.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/853961

I hope this helps.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Emory Chemoprevention Study - 04-11-2017 02:04 AM
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This may be helpful to other members. Im sorry but at this time I have not heard about this study. Physicians who are looking for study participants for legitimate studies to learn more about head and neck cancer must first get approval from either myself or Brian. If your physician is seeking more participants please have him contact me. Im sending my email to you in a PM.

Thank you!

© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum