Posted By: Corlis Smith Soreness in gums pre operation - 08-23-2015 05:06 AM
I am having a hemi glossectomy of the L lateral tongue in about 5 weeks and I am experiencing pain and tenderness surrounding a wisdom tooth on the same side at the top. This is something new, does this mean that they will take the teeth when I have surgery or will I need to see a dentist for this. It's becoming more painful. I wear partials but they are beginning to bother me so I don't wear them as much.
Posted By: Alpaca Re: Soreness in gums pre operation - 08-23-2015 06:13 PM
Corliss, they take teeth out during or before surgery if they are in poor condition and will be in the field of radiation. As you are not having rads that will not be the case. I think you should see a dentist. If the tooth has to come out you will have to let the doctor's team know, won't you?

It's just another thing for you to worry about so I would see to it post haste.

Good luck with this.

Posted By: Corlis Smith Re: Soreness in gums pre operation - 08-24-2015 03:52 AM
I don't mean to be a worry wart. My teeth are fine, I am so new to this entire thing that I was wondering if the cancer may spread to the surrounding gum area. I feel so dumb about all this. Wondered if the OC is effecting other areas in my mouth. Don't want to make a fuss over small things. The gum around the teeth hurt not the tooth.
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: Soreness in gums pre operation - 08-24-2015 09:48 AM
Corlis,
You were just told you have cancer, so worrying about any new sore or spot in your mouth is normal. Cancer can spread, and I'm not implying that it has, but I would check with your cancer doctor.
Posted By: Corlis Smith Re: Soreness in gums pre operation - 08-25-2015 12:59 AM
Thanks everyone for your patience with me
Posted By: Neicy Re: Soreness in gums pre operation - 08-26-2015 03:20 AM
I do this same worrying. I had a few days this month where I maniacally checked my mouth millions of times! I understand how anxiety producing it all is. I try to do what I can to lower my anxiety and let the doctors figure it all out. I don't know what I am looking at anyway. I started meditating and it has helped me. Breathing slowly can work wonders. I am hoping the best for you. Denise
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum