Posted By: Talim75 Neck dissection recovery - 11-02-2014 07:09 PM
I apologize if this is a repeat question, but I didn't see an answer using the search:

I have a question concerning the swelling and numbness from the neck dissection. I had my surgery 2 months ago and am still experiencing these symptoms. I was told by my doctor to massage the area and it would go away, from what he said I expected it to go away a long time ago. Is this normal and is there anything else I can do?

Thanks so much!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Neck dissection recovery - 11-02-2014 09:44 PM
Unfortunately yes this is very normal! Recovery from this type fo surgery can take many months. Swelling can take a long time to completely go away. Yes, massaging the area will help. Also you can seek out a physical therapist to help you even more with the recovery. Many OC patients who have NDs have issues with lifting the arm on that side. PT really will make a big difference and the earlier you start the better.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Neck dissection recovery - 11-03-2014 03:38 PM
I'm going to ditto Christine and add a bit more - The swelling is a build up of lymph fluid because they have removed a major pathway for lymph drainage. It does get better in time. Massage does help, but I would hold off on that until you are "scanned and cancer free" I would not massage an area and push the fluid into circulation if there is any chance the cancer is still there.

That said numbness may be permanent or at least very long term - they cut nerves and muscles. The nerves take a very long time to heal - if ever d muscles for me are always a bit tight on my neck and I'm three years out (more actually) hugs.
Posted By: Talim75 Re: Neck dissection recovery - 11-03-2014 05:49 PM
Thank you so much for your replies. This puts me at ease that I am following the doctor's orders properly and am healing just fine. The reaction of my doctor at my 2 week check-up made me feel like the swelling should have gone away a long time ago.

My doctor had expected me to have trouble with lifting my right arm, but luckily he was able to avoid the nerve enough to where it didn't effect my movement. During recovery I lost a lot of muscle mass and my job is quite physical - so I have started to do my physical training to re-build some of my smaller muscles to prevent injury when I am completely back full-time.
Posted By: donaldb Re: Neck dissection recovery - 11-22-2014 07:40 AM
I had the same issue, left side of my face had a droop that looked like I had a stroke. It took about two years for the nerves to heal and I have about 80% of my smile back. I found that using Ben Gay and doing my mouth smile stretches helped. It takes time and will never be like it was but it will be close. Bless on you recovery
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum