Posted By: Anne-Marie Gardasil Shot Revisited - 09-30-2014 04:10 PM
We have encouraged parents to get the Gardasil shot for their daughters and sons, but what about the situation where one parent is for it and the other is not. The young 14-year-old girl I am thinking about wants the shot (and so does her father), but every time the 14-year-old gets a check up, the doctor always suggests the Gardasil shot but the mother always says "No". She may have been influenced by some of the quack sites who misrepresent info with scare tactics.

Since I've heard that a 15-year-old can get help from Planned Parenthood without having them contact the parents, is there some way, a young 15-year-old could get the Gardasil shot without the mother being contacted?
Posted By: donfoo Re: Gardasil Shot Revisited - 09-30-2014 05:46 PM
Sorry to hear about the reluctant parent. Legally, if the parents have joint custody, I suspect the father can approve treatments for his daughter. The fact that would undermine unified parenting is something of another color. Maybe a visit to family counseling would help find some resolution on how to proceed.
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Gardasil Shot Revisited - 09-30-2014 06:40 PM
Thanks, Don. It's a difficult and sad situation. I will present your ideas to him.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum