I really don't understand the connection between HPV and head and neck cancer. Is HPV related head and neck cancer treated the same way as non-related head and neck cancer?

This evening I got home to the "Getting Ready for Surgery" packet. I could be hyper sensitive due to stress. On the treatment calendar i can tell they are finally going to test Charles for HPV during pre-op the day before his scheduled surgery. Plus his surgery appointment only has "Selective Neck Dissection." On our last appointment with his surgeon the plan was a partial laryngectomy, partial glossectomy, and some reconstruction.

It could be that the little calendar in the packet only had space for "Selective Neck Dissection" or could it be they will make a decision based on HPV testing and node margins?

Monday can't get here soon enough.
At this time, treatments are the same weather the patient is HPV+ or HPV-. There are some trials being conducted to determine if lesser treatment will have the same results. The future for HPV+ patients likely will see slightly different treatment, but that could take years to happen.
Some recent studies have indicated a better response to chemo and potentially less radiation required for HPV+ oral cancers.
Lily,

If the topic of participating in a trial is offered, think through the benefits vs the risks to you. Trials are using patients as guinea pigs of sorts.

In the case of deescalation trials, one arm may be to use the current standard of care protocols while the other arm tests using less rads or whatever. It is random who gets which treatment, so you need to decide if you are comfortable testing a new, unproven protocol.

Naturally, if nobody participated there would be no advances so it is a bit of a moral dilemma.

But as stated earlier, current treatment options are not influenced by HPV status.
Also, there are a few studies that say the benefits for being HPV positive apparently doesn't extend outside the oropharynx (tonsil, bot mainly), so these deescalation trials are only for HPV positivity in the oropharynx, I believe.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum