Posted By: jawwayne Radiation question - 05-26-2014 08:35 PM
Hi I am new here and going to be getting rt. How does it feel each day after?
Posted By: PaulB Re: Radiation question - 05-26-2014 09:06 PM
Jawwayne, It usually takes 10-14 days for the radiation effects to start, but everyone is different, and if you're having chemo, their effects start after a few days, some overnight, and with Chemoradiation the toxicities are greater. Radiation and chemo basically have some of the same side effects. Besides personal experiences, you can read all about radiation, and side effects at the below OCF link. You can make a post of your own, and get more responses. Good luck.

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/treatment/radiation.php
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Radiation question - 05-27-2014 02:17 AM
Welcome to OCF!

Best thing I can tell you is your intake will play a pivotal role in how well you handle and feel after having rads. Every single day you need to take in a minimum of 2500+ calories and 48-64+ oz of water. These are the bare minimums. The more you can do the better you will feel, especially if you can take in 64 oz of water every day. This is even more important if you will be having chemo.

Not everyone has a hard time, some sail right thru. Most of us began to feel crappy and super tired about week 3 or 4. Rads gets progressively more difficult as you go thru it, with the very worst being the first 2 or 3 weeks after you finish your treatments. Hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones who sail right thru it barely noticing any side effects. Just remember you hold the key to being one of the lucky ones.... your intake!

Stick with us and we will help you get thru everything. Best wishes!!!
Posted By: n74tg Re: Radiation question - 05-27-2014 02:39 AM
Hi Jawwayne:
We all wondered the same questions as you before treatment began. Like said above everyone is different, I had no real symptoms until about week six of seven. My doc said I was very lucky as most people are pretty uncomfortable by the end of week 3.

Since we are all different and there is really no way to tell how it will be for you, it might be best to just wait and let it arrive when and if it does. No matter what, you are going to go through the treatment and endure whatever happens, so why worry about it now.

We all got through it and you will too.

Stay strong, stop worrying

Tony

Posted By: Alpaca Re: Radiation question - 05-27-2014 05:59 AM
Hi Jawwayne

I finished RT (no chemo) 8 days ago. The side effects don't all happen at once and don't really kick in till week 3. My advice is to tell the radiation therapists as soon as you feel the effects so that they send you to the nurses for medication. Ask for help with the side effects and doctors and nurses will be only too happy to supply what you need. They like to get people through the treatment with minimal discomfort.
Christine's advice above about food and drink is also valuable and there will be a dietitian in your treatment team who will make a big fuss about your weight and what you're consuming. Take all advice, even when your taste goes and you have to drink lots of Ensure!
Hope it goes well:)
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum