Posted By: QuinnZ Throat pain after partial glossectomy - 08-26-2013 01:30 AM
I had a partial glossectomy with skin graft on 8/15. The pain in my tongue and the donor site (thigh) has improved, but I have a continuous severe sore throat still. Is this normal? My doctor says that it's from the breathing tube but it seems strange based on my previous 3 operations, for that to be an issue after 10 days.

I'm concerned about continuing to take Oxycodone, which is the only thing that will touch my throat pain. But when I try to just take Advil I am absolutely miserable and can't move around as much as I need to.

Thanks for any advice.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Throat pain after partial glossectomy - 08-26-2013 11:53 AM
Unfortunately yes this can be completely normal to still be in pain. You have been thru a major surgery and it takes time to recover, especially after everything you have been thru. If you dont feel better when you are about at the 3 week post surgery point then check in with the doc. Dont worry too much about the pain meds you are taking, it does not help the patient at all to be in pain. Take what works when you need to and in another week - 10 days try to slowly switch over to Advil if you still need some pain meds. At that time, extend the time between doses an hour or 2 longer, then begin to substitute Advil and see if that works.

Best wishes with your recovery.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Throat pain after partial glossectomy - 08-26-2013 03:39 PM
Hey there... also chances are you have some lovely stitches in your throat. I was cut all the way to my ear canal inside. I didn't realize this until they put me into the nuker (radiation) and I could feel the scaring stiffening. I later asked my dr if I had stitches inside there and he said YUP! so that area may still be sensitive. Particularly if you are eating etc... hugs.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum