Posted By: bidask My story.... - 08-11-2012 06:16 AM
Diagnosed with a stage 4 right tonsil cancer. I did not want chemo so I had to get surgery/radiation. I was operated on May 2nd 2004 at Barnes Hospital St Louis (Washington University).
My surgeon used transoral laser microsurgery a new technique at the time. He removed a 3 1/2 centimeter tumor from the right tonsil, part of the back of my tongue and part of my palate. The cancer had spread to a node and broken through into the soft tissue of my neck...so that he had to remove a 2nd tumor that had grown about 5 centimeters. He achieved negative margins. Ironically the radiation oncologist I chose also was treated for tonsil cancer himself and used the same surgeon and developed his own radiation plan. He used 62 Gys over 35 days on me, a lower than normal dosage I was told. 2 years ago my surgeon said I had been cured.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: My story.... - 08-11-2012 11:46 AM
That is awesome! Congrats and welcome! It's always great to have a survivor on board.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: My story.... - 08-11-2012 12:47 PM
Congrats
Posted By: bidask Re: My story.... - 08-11-2012 04:27 PM
I should add as part of my story that within 24 hours of my initial surgery that a facial artery burst on the same side as the tonsil cancer and neck dissection. It was about 2:30am.

The blood was spurting out of my mouth.

Thank God I was at a major hospital because by the time they wheeled me to the OR I passed out......my surgeon who was awakened came over and performed another surgery on me to repair the artery....
They had put me on a breathing machine of some kind and kept me passed out for about 20 hours. My surgeon later told me that I had lost nearly 3 pints of blind and commented that it was 'remarkable' I had lived. He then prayed to God with me and we both gave thanks,.....that was cool having my surgeon pray with me.
Posted By: julieann Re: My story.... - 08-11-2012 04:32 PM
Bidask: What a remarkable story. Thank you for sharing it with us - it gives us all hope for the same. Keep in touch and maybe we can get some helpful hints from you. CONGRATULATIONS, again.
julieann
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum