Posted By: BuffaloFan Sores on neck from Radiation - 05-27-2012 05:02 PM
I am official done with radiation on Tuesday (Monday memorial day here in the US).
I noticed where I am getting radiation there are like blisters and sores. Is there anything that anyone can recommend for these? Dr said to use a aloe with an lydicane additive, but I cannot find any of theses here. I found some sunburn gel and for that does take off the edge with pain pills but not help for a long period and I have to keep using the gel, and have to wait to take more pain meds.
Posted By: Maria Re: Sores on neck from Radiation - 05-27-2012 07:40 PM
See if you can get a prescription for burn creme (Silver sulfadiazine)... now. If you can't get it over the holiday weekend, pick up some Aquaphor (by Eucerin). Good luck!!! And congrats on being almost done.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Sores on neck from Radiation - 05-27-2012 10:43 PM
The above was good advice! Congrats on getting though it!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Sores on neck from Radiation - 05-28-2012 12:15 AM
Ask your doc for a prescription for Beta Val cream or any other heavy duty healing cream they would recommend. Aquaphor is available over the counter. Pat the cream on and let it soak in, never rub it in. Do not put cream on before going to rads on Tuesday. It can interfere with your treatment. Put it on when you are finished.

One more to go then let the healing begin!!!
Posted By: KP5 Re: Sores on neck from Radiation - 05-28-2012 10:41 PM
We used the Silvadene cream too. Worked GREAT!!
Posted By: zengalib Re: Sores on neck from Radiation - 05-30-2012 09:07 PM
I used Silvadene as welll. My neck was so bad at one point that they had to stop radiation for a week and I couldn't even bear to look at myself in the mirror!
Posted By: David2 Re: Sores on neck from Radiation - 06-02-2012 05:00 PM
Ditto and ditto on silver sulfadiazine. I'm surprised your docs didn't prescribe it or one of the other prescription creams. But for bad burns I found that stuff to be the best.

But hey - you're finished! I hope your recovery is smooth and uneventful. Let us know how you're doing, ok?
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum