Posted By: nicki74 Neck Dissections and Swelling in face - 04-27-2011 05:23 AM
can the removal of lymphnodes on both sides of the neck contribute to swelling during the healing process? my father had his surgery about 4 months ago and still experiences some swelling in his face and chin.. sometimes accompanied by redness.. thank you!
Posted By: Nate82 Re: Neck Dissections and Swelling in face - 04-28-2011 03:10 AM
Hi Nicki,

I only had the left side done, but they fried my entire neck and face. The swelling is still a bit noticable on my left cheek and neck as well as the discoloration and blotchy skin. My entire left side of face is still numb and my neck as well, my surgery was last september and finished all treatments in december. I wonder what is normal or what is cancer trying to come back constantly. But so far everything I complain about the docs have said is normal and all minor compared to what I went through. Now if I could just figure out what is wrong with my tummy...
Posted By: nicki74 Re: Neck Dissections and Swelling in face - 04-28-2011 06:03 PM
hi, exactly, how do you know! but same here, everything we have complained about, the doctor said was normal.. so much has happened in that area, it is hard to tell why this hurts, or why is this swollen and red.. infection, inflammation?! ugh! my dad had his treatments before surgery, because unfortunately it came back about 3-4 months out of treatment.. now he is again dealing with another infection.. face is red, swollen on his right side and last night he had some draining under his chin where the incision was done for the jaw split.. they usually go hand in hand in my dad's case.. redness, swelling and drainage.. and how much of that redness is from radiation.. i mean it was less than a year ago! geesh.. thank you so much!
nicki
Posted By: rossnz Re: Neck Dissections and Swelling in face - 05-06-2011 08:55 AM
i've still got noticeable swelling 28 months on on my left side , so much for my surgeon saying 18 months or so.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum