Posted By: pwd2010 treatment for precancer - 11-10-2010 05:49 AM
Went to ENT to have a cyst drained in the back of my throat and biopsy performed. I have HPV strain 16 oropharengeal dysplagia. Asymmetrical view interior and small palpable lump under chin are present. What kind of treatment, if any, might I expect? Really not into watch and see as this has been present for 6 months that I've noticed. No real pain except occasional ear pain/itch on the affected side.
Also, can my husband contract this in his mouth from kissing?!
Thanks for any help!
Posted By: davidcpa Re: treatment for precancer - 11-10-2010 01:51 PM
Where did you get that diagnosis? I have never heard of HPV dysphagia. Doesn't mean anything other than I have never heard of it. HPV or not dysphagia needs to be closely watched as it can turn into cancer.

Also see www.oralcancerfoundation.org/dental/.../Oropharyngeal-Dysphagia-HNC.pdf

Posted By: pwd2010 Re: treatment for precancer - 11-10-2010 07:59 PM
ENT..It seemed a reasonable dx because I had the same on my cervix. It's not dysphagia, as in trouble swallowing, but a thickened cell change, precancerous. I suppose its not often found this early..since the cervix treatment 15 years ago, I have been paranoid it would wind up in my throat, such similar environments. Follow up is soon..just wasn't sure what I could/should expect. I guess she may want to take out the lump?
I appreciate your response.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: treatment for precancer - 11-10-2010 09:44 PM
There is no correlation between the cervical HPV and oral HPV, at least not yet proven. I did ask Moffitt about your HPV dysplasia and here is what they said:

"All of us believe that there is an HPV related dysplasia that occurs prior to tumor formation � however, this has been almost impossible to find as there is currently no screening � so no opportunity to find these pre-cancerous lesions � and metastases occurs so quickly that the pre-cancerous stage may be short in duration. The lack of a clearly definable per-cancerous lesion of the oropharynx has left us un able to design vaccine trials with oropharynx disease as an endpoint � a real problem."

Again stay on top of the dysplasia as it can turn cancerous.

© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum