Posted By: Stily1 Sonicare? - 07-05-2010 07:01 AM
Hello,

I've found some conflicting references to the Sonicare electric toothbrush in these posts. Some like and recommend it, but one person warned it would be too abrasive for damaged tissues during and immediately following treatment.

For me it may be too late. I'm ~2.5 months out of radiation/chemo and used my Sonicare the whole time. Recently I've developed some new temperature sensitivity in my upper left teeth and on closer investigation, I see quite a lot of gum recession. Now, I did have extensive periodontal surgery ten years ago to fix "deep pocketing" in my gums, so it's possible I'm just now getting around to looking closely at those gums. Or, possibly, I've abraded my gums away back there (not a nice thought!). Unfortunately, I don't have a good "baseline" since I didn't really look too closely before going in for cancer treatment.

The dentist at my Cancer Association did take photos before I started treatment, and I'll see the dentist again in August, so I may actually be able to ask.

But, anybody out there have a strong opinion as to whether the Sonicare may have done me some damage?

Thanks,

-Seth
Posted By: AnitaFrances Re: Sonicare? - 07-06-2010 05:50 PM
Hi, Seth,

My husband has been using the Sonicare toothbrush for about a year. Like a lot of people, he can't open his mouth as much as he could pre cancer. Before he started using Sonicare, his gums were receding--we think from radiation. His teeth also became very sensitive. His dentist treated his teeth on a few visits with a gel to control the discomfort and then he applied a bonding agent to cover the exposed roots. That helped a lot. The Sonicare toothbrush is great for getting his teeth clean and getting into his mouth where a regular tooth brush is too big. His mouth is still sensitive (not the teeth) so I know he is very careful about being gentle.

Good luck--
Anita
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: Sonicare? - 07-08-2010 04:57 AM
Seth,

I started using the Sonicare toothbrush in January 2009 at the recommendation of my dentist (prosthodontist) and his staff. They treat many of the cancer patients where I live. I had a lot of staining of my teeth due to the fluoride treatments and chlorhexidine oral rinses and the Sonicare seemed to help with the staining and I have not noticed any gum recession since I started using it. I used a different brand electric toothbrush for many years prior to switching to the Sonicare. I use the Sonicare 2 to 3 times daily, and a manual toothbrush in-between.

They also recommend using Sensodyne Pronamel toothpaste � to help harden the enamel and the Sensodyne brand does also help with sensitive teeth issues (it worked for my son). I use this along with Biotene toothpaste.

I hope this was of some help. Good luck.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Sonicare? - 07-08-2010 11:49 AM
When I was first diagnosed with OC in 2007, my ENT recommended I use a Sonicare. He said to only use the slowest setting as not to damage the gum tissue.

Now, after I had my teeth removed, he said do not use it. That without teeth it could cause alot of damage.

Just be very careful with it.
Posted By: Stily1 Re: Sonicare? - 07-11-2010 08:42 PM
Thanks everybody. Generally seems like thumbs up for Sonicare.
Posted By: David2 Re: Sonicare? - 10-06-2010 09:53 PM
I've now been using a Sonicare for about 3 months. Have to say I like it a lot. Recently when it was charging I went back to my old battery powered Oral B for a go and it didn't compare.

Adding my thumb.

David 2
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum