Posted By: MarkInOregon Starting treatment in the morning - 08-06-2009 05:52 AM
1st chemo in the morning, 1st Radiation in the afternoon.

Ready but nervous. I am most worried about nausea. I'm already kind of "barfy" so am expecting lots of ickyness. Not so much worried about being painful. I'm already in pain.
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: Starting treatment in the morning - 08-06-2009 06:26 AM
Hi Mark. I had cisplatin 2x with my last radiation. The drugs they give you for nausea are great so just take them as directed and you will be fine. Where I had the trouble was that I also take blood pressure medication, and when I got chemo it had the bizarre effect of dropping my blood pressure so that I ended up being one of those fainting goats who falls over at the first loud noise! I got quite a shiner from one event.

If you take bp medication - make sure you watch for that. You'll get through it - we're here for you.

Donna
Posted By: Cookey Re: Starting treatment in the morning - 08-06-2009 07:29 AM
Deep breaths mark,and good luck

liz
Posted By: EzJim Re: Starting treatment in the morning - 08-06-2009 01:58 PM
Mark, I never had nausea with any rads or chemo so all I can say is good luck. Maybe it won't bother you after all.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Starting treatment in the morning - 08-06-2009 03:44 PM
Mark,

I had 3 rounds of Cis. The first one was pretty much a non event. The 2nd one caused me some nausea but it was also after I had 15 rad sessions and the 3rd was horrible but it was after I had completed all my rads. Each of us can react differently so lets hope it's kind to you.
Posted By: MarkInOregon Re: Starting treatment in the morning - 08-06-2009 10:14 PM
Just got back. Yeah, Rad was a little iffy as they had me strapped down for 20 minutes or so before starting and I was having a sensation of choking when the Rad started. I think it'll be okay. They said today I was going to be strapped in the longest.

Chemo is no issues thus far. Took a Zofran as told when got home but don't have any side effects yet.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Starting treatment in the morning - 08-07-2009 01:03 PM
Mark,

Usually they will take measurements once a week and that was Mondays for me so when they do that you are strapped down longer. You'll get used to being strapped down, if not there are pills available.
Posted By: MarkInOregon Re: Starting treatment in the morning - 08-07-2009 04:11 PM
today was quicker but still got the choking sensation less than half way through. Thanks for the suggestions of meds. I might ask for that next week.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Starting treatment in the morning - 08-07-2009 04:15 PM
Also many of us were allowed to bring our own CD's and play them in their CD players. That helped me pass the time and occasionally took my mind to a nicer place while I was being nuked. I turned my music up as loud as they let me.
Posted By: mightymouse Re: Starting treatment in the morning - 08-07-2009 05:26 PM
Mark -

Don't hesitate to ask for the meds. They have gotten me through three weeks of the mask -- couldn't do it without them. Throw stoicism out the window!
Posted By: EricS Re: Starting treatment in the morning - 08-11-2009 09:44 AM
Mark,

you are in Oregon! Do you know how lucky you are to be in Oregon? The reason I say this is due to your states medical marijuana laws and how easy it is to get a prescription filled in your state.

No matter what your attitude about the stigma of this drug, it really is helpful during treatment, my only issue with it is if it is smoked. There are other just as effective methods of "administering" the dosage, Charm and I's consensus is that vaporizing is the best way...but also can be used in tinctures and baked goods smile

Anyway marijuana will help with anxiety, nausea, pain and promote appetite and I err SOME never experienced any side effects...other then appetite which was/is a good thing. During chemo/radiation I was unable to get a script for this as it isn't legal in Idaho, however a guy that I befriended during treatment lived in Clarkston WA where it was legal and he would "dose" before radiation and it really helped him during rads as he suffered from claustriphobia. He also told me that it helped with the chemo (cisplatinum like me) as well. I was soo jealous of that guy as I would rather trade in 3 of my scripts for the one drug he was using...actually 4 as marijuana always helps with sleep (for SOME).

Anyway my friend, hang in there, you can do this thing.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum