Posted By: little p blood type+cancer connection? - 04-27-2005 06:30 PM
HI guys, a quick question. This afternoon Rod went into a GNC type store looking for info & products on weight gain. The lady working there after hearing his story about the cancer said "what blood type are you"? He asked why & she proceeded to tell him if he was type A, he needed to follow a special diet because with type A your body defense against cancer isn't good & he will probably have a recurrence & it will come back with a vengence. mad I was so mad if I knew what store I would call her & chew her out. He was so upset when he left. Doesn't anyone know if this is true or if your blood type effects your ability to fight of cancer?? Thanks so much. Maureen frown
Posted By: Anita210 Re: blood type+cancer connection? - 04-27-2005 06:47 PM
One thing I learned from my husband's cancer diagnosis is that almost everybody has an opinion about cause/cure/treatment. We sure got alot of unsolicited advice from people. I just try to think that it is given in the spirit of tying to help and then put most of it out of my mind.

Anita
Posted By: aussieh Re: blood type+cancer connection? - 04-27-2005 07:36 PM
Hi Maureen

I am type A and I've never heard anything like that from any of my docs let alone a store assistant. I'm 2 yrs out and doing fine. Wishing Rod continuing good health - I tend to let gratuitous advice wash over me.

Love and light from Helen
Posted By: Cathy G Re: blood type+cancer connection? - 04-27-2005 09:17 PM
Maureen,

I'm also a blood type A -- yesterday was the 16th anniversary of my partial glossectomy and neck dissection, and I have not had a recurrence since then.

Cathy
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: blood type+cancer connection? - 04-27-2005 09:43 PM
The is utter BS. Consider the source, someone that wants to sell him something.
Posted By: little p Re: blood type+cancer connection? - 04-28-2005 09:38 AM
Thanks all! It's true about everyone wanting to offer their opinion even if it upsets the person they are talking to.I don't understand where some peoples brains are!!! frown I told him she wanted to sell him something!!!!Thanks again, I will pass the replies along to him. smile
_
Posted By: Darrell G. Rakestraw Re: blood type+cancer connection? - 04-28-2005 08:28 PM
Maureen:
Unless you hear it from a Ear, Nose and Throat Physician, it ain't true.
An upsetting statement like that from a stupid store employee should be rewarded with a stern repremand.
Darrell
Posted By: Robr Re: blood type+cancer connection? - 04-29-2005 10:13 AM
Uneducated, minimum wage, idiot.

Not a scientist/doctor no credibility period.

Take it easy.

Robert
Posted By: little p Re: blood type+cancer connection? - 04-29-2005 01:02 PM
Thanks guys...I apprciate the reassurance! smile maureen
Posted By: Michaelii Re: blood type+cancer connection? - 06-26-2005 07:24 PM
I have trouble believing the Dr's (they ARE trying to sell us something too, don't forget!), much less a GNC (commission) sales person.

I think she got her synapses crossed.

She probably read the book "Eat right for your type" and connected that to cancer somehow.

Isn't this forum great!?!?

You can bounce ideas off dozens of kindred spirits within hours and get a balanced, rational, well intentioned response.

The true miracle of the internet and visionaries like Brian Hill.
Posted By: Daniel Bogan Re: blood type+cancer connection? - 06-26-2005 09:12 PM
Now that kind of advice from a clerk at a GNC store really pisses me off. That advice is pure
horse manure. Keep your spirits up and you will get through this just like many of us.

Best Wishes, Danny Boy
Posted By: dw Re: blood type+cancer connection? - 09-03-2005 01:09 AM
Ditto that her thinking probably came from the book "eat right 4 your blood type" - according to that book type A's are more prone to cancers and is full of eating/diet suggestions for each of the blood types to make up for any weaknesses (based on this guy's research that is). I have an "over friendly" GNC clerk in my area who is always full of advice and has told me on or more occassions what I should/shouldn't be feeing my kids. I kind of get a kick out of her enthusiasm and how she comes off like this total expert. She's a very cheerful person and find her somewhat uplifting and entertaining so haven't (yet) taken offense. It's hard to get her to shut her trap though and my kids are always with me and get restless while we chat - guess that's why she thinks I'm feeding them the wrong foods, ha! I am sure being given that information was the very last thing your friend wanted/needed to hear so definatley in his case was unwelcomed and uneducated advice.
Posted By: Mark Re: blood type+cancer connection? - 09-03-2005 09:58 AM
DW, I had a good laugh with your "shut her trap" comment! My dad uses that expression-I wonder how common it is these days. laugh
Posted By: dw Re: blood type+cancer connection? - 09-07-2005 01:54 AM
Glad you got a chuckle - don't know where I came up with that; although am sure I was told that a time or two growing up, guess some things stay with ya. Saw my gnc clerk today -- last day of their monthly sale and she was swamped with customers so she couldn't yap as much today. She talked enough though - I came out of there with at least one extra thing I didn't plan on buying.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum