Posted By: lola7172 freaking out today...why me :( - 10-06-2015 06:03 PM
Well my most recent biopsy shows suspicious cells. I've had them before. but my ENT wants to get a new biopsy in the OR. When i'm on antibiotics my mouth feels pretty good. But every time i remotely "hurt" my gum from eating, i start getting pain around the gum area near where they removed my last cancer tumor almost 3 years ago (that whole area was affected by radiation about 10 years ago. I'm trying not to freak and I've never had a biopsy done in OR.

I have to get a MRI first then do the OR biopsy. Anyone had this done?
Posted By: tamvonk Re: freaking out today...why me :( - 10-06-2015 09:15 PM
Hello, yes, I know this is scary. Although we have not been through this exact same scenario, we have had a recurrence and we have had a biopsy in the OR.
Our ENT did the initial biopsy in his room , but really, it wasn't deep enough to tell us much. Kris then had the suspicious area biopsied in the OR under a general anaesthetic. This was to the Base of Tongue, not the Oral tongue.
Take comfort in the fact that a biopsy under anaesthetic is more extensive and reaches deeper tissue. So, you will get a definitive answer from this biopsy.
Try not to borrow sorrow from tomorrow. Keep occupied, go for walks with friends, coffee, lunch. Talk to a good friend who will listen and comfort you. Until you do know, what or If, you dealing with anything new, worry is wasted emotion. You can't change what is or is not there. Get this biopsied and go from there.
You will get through this too.
Tammy
Posted By: lola7172 Re: freaking out today...why me :( - 10-07-2015 06:17 PM
Thank you Tammy. I'm crossing my fingers that it's nothing.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: freaking out today...why me :( - 10-14-2015 07:36 PM
Sometimes the OR Biopsy is a little more invasive so they put you out.

Hopefully everything went well and it's nothing

hugs
Posted By: Bob Whyte Re: freaking out today...why me :( - 10-14-2015 10:01 PM
Hope all turns out well, Good luck and best wishes!!!! Semper-Fi Bob
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: freaking out today...why me :( - 10-14-2015 10:09 PM
I've had what my doctor called an OR biopsy, but the pathology report called it a partial glossectomy. Not sure what is the difference - perhaps the amount of tissue removed?

Find out if they plan on doing "frozen sections" during the procedure. This is where a pathologist examines the tissue removed while you are under, and allows the surgeon to continue removing tissue until you get clean margins. They often use a blue dye with it and this dye will stain abnormal cells.

If they do this, and get clean/wide margins, you may not need another surgery.
Posted By: Kerri Re: freaking out today...why me :( - 10-16-2015 03:48 AM
Hi, Lola.

I've had an OR biopsy of some neck lymph nodes. Everything that people have said here is true and common.

Best wishes on your biopsy and results.

Love in OCF,
Kerri
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum