Posted By: zengalib Am I still a Survivor? - 03-10-2014 11:06 PM
Not sure if I am posting this the correct place or not. I was recently diagnosed with a recurrence, this time base of tongue, and area. I will most likely be looking at some very invasive surgery with very intense lifestyle changes. I would have been 5 years out this summer, and had been very proud to think of myself as a survivor until this latest diagnosis. Am I still a survivor or did that status go away with this recurrence?
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Am I still a Survivor? - 03-10-2014 11:38 PM
You are still a survivor smile

From the date of diagnosis you have been considered a survivor. This has not changed with having a recurrence.
Posted By: donfoo Re: Am I still a Survivor? - 03-11-2014 03:02 AM
yep. Once a survivor, always a survivor. Once you get the diagnosis you are a lifetime member of the club.
Posted By: PaulB Re: Am I still a Survivor? - 03-11-2014 04:37 AM
Some say Survivor, I say Fighter. Good luck with surgery.
Posted By: sophie theriault Re: Am I still a Survivor? - 03-11-2014 09:02 PM
We a fight the best battles we possibly can. My husband called it "taking the fangs out of the monster". Meaning he felt empowered in his life were he was at.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Am I still a Survivor? - 03-13-2014 12:21 AM
You are amazing... survivor / warrior / and fighter are all just words - you are all of them. Hugs and stay strong.
Posted By: Kerri Re: Am I still a Survivor? - 03-14-2014 04:51 AM
That is a very good question and I'm glad that you asked.

Now I know, too!

I love all of you to pieces <3!
Posted By: Bart Re: Am I still a Survivor? - 03-27-2014 04:03 PM
Here's a quick test that you can use anytime you're outside to determine whether you are still a survivor or not:

Look down; if you see grass (or snow, depending on the season,) Congratulations! You are (still) a survivor!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum