Posted By: tina77 7 months later... - 05-20-2013 06:15 AM
Today is 7 months from my release from the hospital after surgery. To be honest, I didn't think I would still be spending time on this forum, but I am finding that this is the one place I can feel that people truly understand the mind set.

I have been thinking a lot about my future, and my past, especially after hearing about Charm.

I am exceedingly grateful that my treatment was as limited as it was (at least for now). I won't lie and say that thoughts of recurrence don't play a part in my life. It doesn't control my life, but it is always there in the back of my mind, like an insidious little spider just waiting to pop into the forefront.

I am forever changed by this experience. In some ways for the better. I am more thoughtful towards others who are going through their own issues (regardless of what they are). I take more time to tell my friends and family how much I love them. I appreciate my life in a way that really can't be understood unless you have actually faced your own mortality. In all those ways I am better. I will, however, always feel just a little apart from those closest to me, and for that reason, I am so thankful for this forum, and the support it provides.

I just wanted to share that with everyone, and let you all know that even if I don't post, I am here and reading up on you all, and I think of you all often, taking strength from yours, and hopefully, once in a while, sending a little bit back.
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: 7 months later... - 05-20-2013 10:12 AM
So nice of you to check in with us, Tina. I'm glad things are going well for you. My life has changed, too - in all the ways you mentioned because of my son's survival and the support we received here. I don't post as often, either but I see so many other wonderful survivors and caregivers helping each other, sharing their compassion and knowledge and hope. And when we lose someone as special as Charm, we share our tears, too. I still miss him so much.
Posted By: RPCV Re: 7 months later... - 05-20-2013 05:13 PM
Tina,
So glad you are doing well. I don't think "thoughts of recurrence" will ever go away, but they do diminish over time.
Things are indeed changed forever for us all. But you and I can be grateful, that for now [insert"thoughts of recurrence" here] we have been spared the burn and poison portions of the gruesome treatment.
My best to you.
Posted By: PaulB Re: 7 months later... - 05-20-2013 06:50 PM
Good news!
Posted By: KP5 Re: 7 months later... - 05-20-2013 07:33 PM
Hi Tina,
I think of you often when I am on the forums. Wondered how you were doing. I'm glad you checked in.
Kevin and I were just talking about this the other day. We don't obsess about it, but it's always there lurking...I know we are all in the same boat. Luckily we all seem to keep busy and I think that makes life much easier to handle.
Good to hear from you,
Kathy
Posted By: Cheryld Re: 7 months later... - 05-22-2013 01:35 AM
Hugs! a victory for you is a victory for all of us.
Posted By: tina77 Re: 7 months later... - 05-22-2013 05:32 AM
Well, like the signature line says...kickin' ass, taking names, and kickin' them again just for good measure.
Posted By: tina77 Re: 7 months later... - 05-28-2013 03:13 AM
By the way, hit the milestone of 40 years young a few weeks ago...went to Vegas, yep, did it up right.
Posted By: KP5 Re: 7 months later... - 05-28-2013 10:51 PM
I had my 40th in Vegas too! A few years ago though....
Posted By: Jay Jeong Re: 7 months later... - 05-29-2013 11:07 PM
Great to hear you are doing well Tina and striving!

Posted By: Deejer47 Re: 7 months later... - 05-30-2013 05:09 PM
Sounds like a fun birthday. Keep kickin' it.
Posted By: gmcraft Re: 7 months later... - 05-30-2013 08:51 PM
Cancer is indeed a life-changing experience, for both patient and caregiver(s). Much as we would like things to return to what they were pre-diganosis, they never will. I learned a few life lessons from my experience; today, my head is in a slightly different place from five months ago. Good luck and all the very best to you, Tina.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum