Posted By: ceazar how fast do tumors grow? - 03-19-2011 02:23 PM
My father had a MI the day of his 2nd chemo tx, went for a cath and put three stents in and fixed the area that caused the MI, But there is another area the left main coranary at the biafircation that is 90% blocked and unfixable (the widow maker). now we have decided no more chemo and a DNR. Does any one have any info on how fast a tumor can grow and the size the tumor would be to impair or make breathing impossible? He is doing good and eating and going home tommorrow. Thanks
Posted By: Gary Re: how fast do tumors grow? - 03-20-2011 12:22 PM
I asked that same question when I was initially diagnosed and my head & neck surgeon informed me that the tumor had been there about 2 years. It had grown to 6 cm, and was chokinng me when I would sleep at night. I suspect that my tumor was HPV induced and it was also a polypoid tumor (simliar a polyp like found in colon cancer) so your fathers tumor may have different growth characteristics.

It can be shrunk with radiation. My tumor completely dissapeared after only 3 weeks of radiation.

You may wish to revisit this with a risk/benefit assessment, even if from a palliative care standpoint, with a Radiation Oncologist. Ofterntimes radiation is administered to mitigate pain and it can also prolong life as well.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum