Posted By: Alpaca Sword of Damocles - 03-01-2011 08:27 PM
I feel so feeble for being in bits because of a "it's probably nothing" biopsy. But I feel that if I don't get the results soon I will explode into a million tiny pieces. No amount of tough self talk will help.

Realised last night that it's not just the biopsy but about three other major stresses which have dragged me down since Christmas and have stripped the tough skin off my coping skills. I got quite depressed after helping a son (successfully) through a potential relationship break-up. I have recently felt a lot of self pity (should feel sorry for HIM) about my older husband's memory and cognitive decline.

Other parts of my life have gone quite well but there've been some cataclysmic changes so I'm probably wobbling on the verge of depression.

Even if I get a good result, I think I'll be in a slump. I will get help!

One good thing I did was to ring the clinic and ask to talk to the registrar. All the doctors are on a week long course but the very kind receptionist said that she'll make sure the results will be faxed to the GP if they get there by Friday.

So I took some assertive action for myself - made me feel a wee bit better.

Just trying to clear the mental clutter here and there's nothing quite like writing it down.

Posted By: Pandora99 Re: Sword of Damocles - 03-01-2011 09:58 PM
Good for you to take the bull by the horn and make sure your results will be there soon.

Sounds like you do have alot going on in your life, and sometimes it isn't even the big ticket things that get you down (you have a few of those!), but even just the mundane every day irritants.

Hang in there....we understand......you are perfectly normal.. and... This too shall pass.

Hugs

Donna
Posted By: EricS Re: Sword of Damocles - 03-02-2011 04:39 AM
I have a saying...when you get demoralized, Vaporize! And by vaporizing I mean using a medicinal herb that may or maynot be legal in your area and subject it to water vapor through a special contraption which allows you to inhale the released "medication". This will assists in your positive outlook, feeling of wellbeing, sense of humor and appetite.

Listen, dealing with this stuff is tough and every now and again everyone needs a little assistance with their outlook. If it takes chemical assistance then so be it. Personally I feel that reading, listening to music and surrounding myself with inspirational, upbeat people keep me sharp...but now and again I need a different kind of assistance and I'm not ashamed to admit it. It also helps me eat and sleep. By whatever means possible!

Keep your chin up!

Eric
Posted By: Alpaca Re: Sword of Damocles - 03-02-2011 06:40 AM
Sounds good and I'm all for people taking the steps they need to cope:) I think that something so natural is a good thing but I'm too old to start!

I feel better after having talked to a bloke at work whom I hardly know. The mind is such a weird, weird thing.
Posted By: Alpaca Re: Sword of Damocles - 03-04-2011 05:54 AM
"No evidence of recurrence". Phew.

Posted By: davidcpa Re: Sword of Damocles - 03-04-2011 12:32 PM
Congrats!!!!!
Posted By: Eileen Re: Sword of Damocles - 03-04-2011 06:05 PM
Great news! Go Celebrate!

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Sword of Damocles - 03-04-2011 06:09 PM
Congrats!!!! Im so happy that you are not facing a recurrence!!! Go out and celebrate!!!! smile
Posted By: Gabe Re: Sword of Damocles - 03-04-2011 09:18 PM
Even though you already have my congratulations Maureen its kinda more official when posted here grin
Celebrating sounds like a great idea and I want pic's !!
Love
Gabriele
Posted By: gpk101 Re: Sword of Damocles - 03-05-2011 01:24 AM
The pain of not knowing was, for me almost unbearable. I'm dealing with a recurrance that will involve eventual removal of my larynx-but it's SO MUCH better to know what I'm dealing with. Congrats that you can go about your business of life without the "sword of Damocles" hanging ever so precipitously above.
Thank God and the folks here that are ready, willing,able to help in very real ways.
Posted By: Alpaca Re: Sword of Damocles - 03-05-2011 05:45 PM
Thank you everyone and gpk101, I sorry you have to face up to more surgery. All my warmest regards.

Posted By: Cheryld Re: Sword of Damocles - 03-11-2011 08:46 PM
Congrats... This is war - is always a plus when the good guy wins!!!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum