Posted By: Nate82 Well, nodes will be nodes I guess... - 09-29-2010 04:54 PM
I got the news I did not want to hear but deep down I expected and at times I even tell myself this is how it will go for I was deserving of this path. 49 nodes removed, 2 positive and have my meeting with oncologists Oct. 13th to begin my everyday zapping. My tongue they say is 95 percent healed although they found a spot for potential bleeing and popped then sewed it. So I am in complete wonderland right now and just want some damn normal food to make me feel better.

Here is where you, my friends come in...Why lie, I am scared to death that this disease is still wandering around in my body and how unsure they were today of is it or is it not still around but lets zap ya just in case. What can I expect, How can I get through this, How can I avoid another feeding tube and any other tricks o the trqade any of you may have. Prepare me my OCF coaches, and I will train the best I can. Thank you all for prayers and support but unfortunately we got a little more ways to go. Love Yall

Your Friend

Nathan
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Well, nodes will be nodes I guess... - 09-29-2010 05:04 PM
Oh Boy!!!! I am sorry to hear your news of the positive nodes. DARN IT!!!!! You already went thru enough. Now time to get the game plan going. Now is the time to eat as much as possible of everything you are capable of eating. I know it will be hard due to all the set backs you have had. Dont worry about gaining weight, this is the time to build yourself up and bulk up. You want to go into radiation having no regrets that you missed out on having your favorite foods.

Go to the dentist and get mouth trays made. You will want to start using the floride trays right away. Get your hearing tested cuz cisplatin can cause hearing loss. It didnt happen to me but others have had this problem. Make these appointments asap, your Oct 13th appointment isnt that far away. They could have you begin a week later. If you are ready it will help things go smoother.

Other than that, just mentally prepare for battle. I love your attitude, it will help get you thru this fight.

Best of luck with everything.
Posted By: penners Re: Well, nodes will be nodes I guess... - 09-29-2010 06:17 PM
Hi Nate... gosh this is news none of us wanted! But you will make it through! Like Christine said, eat everything in sight. Did they give you a plan like number of rads? chemo? or is that all to come from the MD on the 13th?

Anyway, we all love you and will be here to support you through the treatments.

Dodie
Posted By: Eileen Re: Well, nodes will be nodes I guess... - 09-29-2010 06:27 PM
Make certain when they do your blood tests, that they also due a thyroid test that includes your TSH level so you will have a base line on this before radiation. The thyroid often decides to quit working anywhere from a few months to years later and it is good to know TSH level prior to treatment.

Since you had neck disections you may also meed PT. Are you having any problems getting arms over head, etc.? Do not go lifting anything over a pound for a while. Make certain your chair has arms on it. You also may want to put something under your arms like a pillow to avoid drag on the shoulder until it has time to heal.

As Christine says, eat as much as can now. Very few us made it through radiation without of a peg, it can be done but it is not easy. You must be very determined to get at least 2000 calories or more (David says 3000) in you daily regardless of how awful it tastes and most say 48 oz of water. That's a lot of swallowing when you feel so awful and your throat is so sore. I didn't have chemo when I did it so it was easier for more than most. I also only had a neck dissection so interior of mouth did not hurt going in. If you are having any trouble eating before radiation, I wouldn't attempt to do this without a peg. It is only going to get worse.

Please don't panic on the positive nodes. They removed them during the surgery and the radiation should clean up any microscopic stuff left around. I had one positive node and am still around despite a few additional setbacks. Keep your positive attitude and we'll get you through this.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: jonp Re: Well, nodes will be nodes I guess... - 09-29-2010 11:48 PM
Hey Nathan

Just saw this post - sorry to hear the news.

Be strong, be positive, and take all the advice you can from the wise ones on this forum who've been through it and come out smiling.

Will be thinking of you.
jp

Posted By: boatswife Re: Well, nodes will be nodes I guess... - 09-30-2010 01:12 AM
Sorry about the crappy news Nathan. You're definitely in the best place for support. Thinking of you buddy!
Posted By: SusanW Re: Well, nodes will be nodes I guess... - 09-30-2010 03:50 AM
Nathan, sorry to hear about the nodes and the radiation. You will have a squad of folks here cheering you on through the radiation. It does suck. But it is chasing that damn disease out of your body,and that's a good thing...
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Well, nodes will be nodes I guess... - 09-30-2010 12:52 PM
To recap:

Get started on the Fluoride trays;

Get blood work done especially TSH;

Get a hearing test especially in the high frequency range;

Try and fatten up as best you can;

Consume as much water and as many calories as you can each and every day. Target 48 ozs and 3000 calories; and

Ask us any/all questions 24/7.

The radiation is ONLY 7 weeks so get a calendar and mark off the days. Usually doesn't affect anyone until the 4th week and you're usually "out of the tunnel" by the 3rd week post Tx so plan for 7 weeks of not fun and hope for better. Before long you will be posting to others about to undergo radiation.
Posted By: David2 Re: Well, nodes will be nodes I guess... - 09-30-2010 03:15 PM
Nathan, sorry to read your news but you'll definitely get through this, you have the right attitude! I second and third what David recommends. Like him I didn't go with a PEG - it was tough, but doable (although I don't necessarily recommend it!). If you do decide to forego it, make sure you have plenty of viscous lidocaine or other numbing agent on hand to help you get the necessary nutrients and water down.

No question, you're headed for a rough time. But then it'll be over and you'll be relieved and proud that you made it through.

My one piece of original advice: baby yourself during treatment and for a good few months afterward. Don't plan on doing much and don't feel guilty or stressed about not getting anything else in your life accomplished. Easy to say, I know... but you will really need to devote 100% of your physical and mental self to getting well.

That said, we all are as David said available at all times for anything you need.

Courage!
David 2
Posted By: minniemoo066 Re: Well, nodes will be nodes I guess... - 10-02-2010 03:38 AM
Hi Nathan,

I didnt have the peg or the feeding tube , in fact they didnt offer it to me!!! My secret was lots of Zylocaine Viscous which i think is the Aussie equivalent if licocaine viscous. When the pain got really bad i started to eat in the bathroom (its now become a habit and i still do!!) with food in one hand and a glass of water in the other. A few gulps of (blended) food and then quickly rinse with water to ease the sting. Rest for a few mins then start the process again. I did this even when eating brought me to my knees with pain. I just persevere and didnt end up needing the tube or peg. It really does help with the physical recovery. I'm now four weeks out and have enough energy to keep going for the entire day.

Good luck with your treatment. Just remember, at times it will feel like its never ending but it does and its all worth it in the end.

All the best.

Minh
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Well, nodes will be nodes I guess... - 10-02-2010 12:06 PM
If you are getting chemo and your docs offer to give you a port. Take it. It will save your arms from being stuck for taking blood and giving IVs. Its a small button about the size of a soda cap inserted in your right chest. The nurses will use that for chemo, IVs, and taking blood. Much easier on you.
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Well, nodes will be nodes I guess... - 10-02-2010 01:29 PM
Nate

Let me suggest another way to look at this. You had 47 nodes that showed zero signs of cancer. That's very good. So your cancer had only spread to two nodes and those have been removed. With a Stage II DX, surgery and now radiation, no reason for you not to make a complete recovery. Trust me that you would much rather have radiation now rather than have this cancer come back again later.
Follow the advice here about TSH tests, etc and you will be good to go. Radiation is not an easy road but it beats the heck out of recurrence.
Charm
Posted By: klo Re: Well, nodes will be nodes I guess... - 10-02-2010 11:00 PM
[quote=Nate82]and at times I even tell myself this is how it will go for I was deserving of this path. Nathan [/quote]
HI Nate, slap that devil sitting on your shoulder - hard! You are NOT deserving of this path - stuff just happens. Listen to the angel sitting on your other shoulder and listen to the people on this site who know.

And remember this ... you are a mere 2 weeks out from major surgery and after all the complications and trips to emergency you are 95% healed!! You are young, you will heal fast - you just proved it with surgery, there is no reason to think you won't do it again with radiation.

Good luck, and give that devil a slap from me smile
Karen
Posted By: DSCRANE Re: Well, nodes will be nodes I guess... - 10-09-2010 08:57 PM
Nathan Sorry to hear about the nodes.You are right we are all your friends,andall of our hearts are praying for you.I have only recently became a member but I feel like I have known you all for a long time. Good luck on radiation and hopefully it will be done before you know it.
Posted By: Deejer47 Re: Well, nodes will be nodes I guess... - 10-10-2010 05:33 PM
Nate, no body deserves this. Many of us have sown plenty of wild oats in our lives ( I went through the recreational chemistry of the 60's in a beautiful haze after I returned from Viet Nam) And then there are some who never have been into smoking or drinking or drugs and still wind up on this board. Deserving has nothing to do with it. Stuff happens. What you deserve is the strength and will to get through this and so you will and so we will all be here for you to lean on when you need.
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: Well, nodes will be nodes I guess... - 10-10-2010 07:36 PM
I have had positive nodes twice - once in 2004 at my first diagnosis and again in 2007 (some ambiguity exists as to whether there were 2 or 3 positive nodes in 2007). I had surgery,radiation both times (w/chemo in 2007) and, I am still here.

I can clearly remember putting too much emphasis on whether the nodes were positive or not. I was sure that positive nodes were a death sentence, but here I am - years later getting ready to chop up my Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow and be with my family, being Thankful for each day.

Do not prejudge the future. I keep hitting milestones I was sure I would never see and THAT feels odd!!

As my surgeon said once - we took OUT the ones with the cancer cells - always a good thing.

Hugs

Donna
Posted By: Nate82 Re: Well, nodes will be nodes I guess... - 10-10-2010 08:53 PM
You all made my day, we get whipped on by the NYG today and I was a bit sad and then whamo! A big smile put on my face by you guys. I have been doing a lot lately and just have been trying to live and act like a normal person. We dont talk about my cancer, we just enjoy family time, football time and real late at night when the lady is sleeping I enjoy my video games lol. I call it my virtual life, the one where diseases and problems do not exist : ) . Thank you all for your support and advice, I will do the best I possibly can, hell I even had a beer or two today for the game! Love ya guys!

Your Friend,
Nathan
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum