Posted By: beeboppin5 Do you ever feel "normal" again? - 09-27-2010 12:27 AM
Sometimes, when I wake up in the morning, I forget that I have anything wrong with me. I pause, and the reality comes flooding back. I embrace it, and greet the day.

Sometimes, after I've been quiet for a long time, I speak, but don't recognize my own voice and I giggle.

Sometimes, I think I'll order the cheeseburger at the restaurant, and realize I can't get my mouth open wide enough to take a bite, so order the pasta instead. Then I feel glad, because I'd rather have pasta over a burger any day.

Sometimes, I thank God that I'm still alive, and feel the love of a thousand raindrops on my skin, and I think that I am one of the lucky ones.
Posted By: misskate Re: Do you ever feel "normal" again? - 09-27-2010 05:11 AM
Beautiful!
Posted By: minniemoo066 Re: Do you ever feel "normal" again? - 09-27-2010 05:30 AM
Your love of life is inspriring. As someone out of treatment for 3weeks, it gives me hope that someday i will feel the same as you now!!! Thank you for your post!!
Posted By: Gabe Re: Do you ever feel "normal" again? - 09-28-2010 06:14 AM
Very nicely put. You have a great attitude Barb.
May you continue to heal with each passing day.
As Minnie says..inspiring wink
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Do you ever feel "normal" again? - 09-28-2010 11:59 AM
Loved your post. You must be such an inspiration to your students. The key word for me was "embrace". Reminds me of what Ekhart Tolle said: "Accept with joy and enthusiasm" and "What you resist persists". Accepting something doesn't mean you have to agree with it but I think it allows one to find ways to create a "new normal" instead of getting stuck in the "resisting" mode. There have been times when I thought, well, ok I will accept this but I couldn't muster up the joy and enthusiasm to go with it. You've given me a wonderful thought for the start of my day!
Posted By: ESikon Re: Do you ever feel "normal" again? - 09-29-2010 02:30 PM
You put a smile on my face! Loved reading this, thanks!
Posted By: jonp Re: Do you ever feel "normal" again? - 09-29-2010 11:25 PM
:o)
Great post...your line about the raindrops reminds of a day about 2 months after my surgery - a beautiful sunny day turned rainy and I grabbed my raincoat and walked barefeet through the rain for an hour or so...absolutely stoked to be alive!

peace.
jp
Posted By: walknlite Re: Do you ever feel "normal" again? - 10-03-2010 12:18 AM
Thanks for that post. I need to read that tonigh. I was sitting here feeling sorry for myself because I am back to eating only foods I do not half to chew. Your post reminded me that I need to be thankful for every moment I have. By the way, what grade do you teach? I am a special ed. teacher at a middle school.
Posted By: JDR Re: Do you ever feel "normal" again? - 10-04-2010 10:31 PM
We can relate to your post. (Although we aren't as far along as you) We had the BEST family weekend doing a bunch of fun, healthy stuff and of course no one would know just looking at us that cancer was tagging along) I kinda felt guilty having such a good time, but justified it with knowing that soon enough radiation will take its toll and TEMPORARILY put a stop to all our fun!
Posted By: David2 Re: Do you ever feel "normal" again? - 10-07-2010 04:12 PM
Great thoughts for a great life.

thank you.
David 2
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Do you ever feel "normal" again? - 10-08-2010 12:26 PM
You really are a very lucky one!!!! Sounds like your life is a little different now and that is ok. Glad you have a handle on living your new normal life.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Do you ever feel "normal" again? - 10-18-2010 01:29 AM
Put a smile on my face too. LOL When you get the 1st burger bite, do me a favor and take one more bite for me. Try some mayo and pickle on it too along with all of the goodies. Thanks for the smile.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum