Posted By: walknlite flipping out - 02-22-2010 06:27 PM
I know it is not good to flip out. I am seriously trying not to. I have this swelling on the front right side of my tongue that was not there three weeks ago. It is getting bigger by the day. I have an appt. with my ENT Wednesday and a call into my RO and waiting on a call back. I thought that it might have been from radiation, but I just saw it yesterday and it is bigger today. It looks strange too. How do I know flip out? I thought that radiation was supposed to get rid of all this crap. I am scared to death of what this could be.
Posted By: ESikon Re: flipping out - 02-22-2010 06:39 PM
Angelia, I just said a prayer for you. I hope its nothing and your RO can see you to ease your fears. Hang in there sweetie!
Posted By: walknlite Re: flipping out - 02-22-2010 06:56 PM
Thanks. His nurse just called me back and is going to contact my ENT and try to move up my appt. even sooner than wed.
Posted By: Kelly211 Re: flipping out - 02-22-2010 07:01 PM
Angelia,

Keep in mind that radiation and chemo do all kinds of strange things to the tissues in your mouth. Also, from what I've heard, cancer does not grow that quickly, I may be wrong.

More likely then not you�re having a swelling issue. Having said that I think it's very important that you have brought this to the doctor�s attention and will be having a look see pronto.

Your doing everything right, try not to panic, telling you not to be concerned is a worthless thought as I know every small change I detect concerns me.

Best of luck on Wed.

Kelly
Posted By: EzJim Re: flipping out - 02-23-2010 02:30 AM
Maybe radiation burns???
Posted By: misskate Re: flipping out - 02-23-2010 04:58 AM
Hi Angelia- Hang in there- Radiation is a real doozy on the whole mouth region. That is some serious stuff you went through and everyone's body reactes differnetly.

Are you rinsing with warm salt water? This helped me heal so much- it kind of burned but I really felt it was the most effective in actually healing the tissue than anything else.

Big hug to you. Definitely let the Doc check it out for sure- just for peace of mind and to be diligent.

Take care,

K
Posted By: walknlite Re: flipping out - 02-23-2010 12:56 PM
I went to the ENT yesterday afternoon. He did scope and did not see anything in the back of my throat except for thick saliva pooling back there so far back that even the suction machine would not get it out.
He also looked at my tongue and did see what i was talking about. He said that cancer does not come back that quickly after radiation and could be just effects from the radiation itself. With that said, if it is not better by tomorrow or gets worse he told me to come on in and he would do a biopsy in his office for my piece of mind and his since I have the ear pain to go with it. There is only one section of my tongue swollen and it is the front right portion. The swelling was not there a week ago, and that is why I was concerned. I am still a little concerned because as my Dr. said I have broken all the rules. smile
Posted By: Marlene41 Re: flipping out - 02-24-2010 05:59 AM
Oh, Angelia -
You need to catch a break, but it's just not happening. Please hang in there and take it slow. Saying prayers, sending hugs and wishing your latest symptom will prove to be no more than the effect of radiation and a minor bump in the road to recovery.

Marlene
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: flipping out - 02-24-2010 06:12 AM
Agreed you do need to catch a break and boy do I know the panic you are feeling. I also know that radiation does a real number on you - affecting all tissues within a 10 miles radius it seems!

I have made many of those lumps and bumps which made my gut clench and stomach drop cold sweat sets in. Then, I get checked - they say its nothing - and magically the symptoms disappear as soon as I have been checked. Wierd how that works!

Perhaps you burnt that part of your tongue on some hot coffee or soup and - due to radiation effects - didn't really realize it. Many things could be resposible for such a fast rise of an irritated area...try to stay calm, deep breaths...we are here with you.

Donna
Posted By: walknlite Re: flipping out - 02-24-2010 02:05 PM
I wish i could say I brunt that area with hot coffee, but I have not had anything to drink except water and cold milk. I think about how the other two tumors and they both came up as quickly as this one did. This one looks a lot different and hurts alot more. It has not gotten any better and the pain just keeps getting worse. I am suppose to call my ENT this morning to let him know it has not gotten any better. My appt, with him is at 2:00 today. Please say prayers that this is nothing more than a huge cold sore or something. It covers a big portion on the right side of my tongue.
Posted By: EzJim Re: flipping out - 02-24-2010 02:55 PM
My thoughts and prayers go with you today for your visit Angelia. I have an appt at 1PM to meet with a new PCP. Good luck my vacation retreat buddy.
Posted By: Shelley K Re: flipping out - 02-24-2010 07:09 PM
I'm keeping everything crossed that it's nothing Angelia.

Hugs,

Shelley
Posted By: davidcpa Re: flipping out - 02-24-2010 10:42 PM
Soooooooo WHAT HAPPENED?????
Posted By: walknlite Re: flipping out - 02-24-2010 11:08 PM
I had a biopsy. We will know something Friday. He was concerned because I had all the same symptoms this time as I had the last two times. We have also been told that if it comes back as cancer again he will send us to OU Physicians in Oklahoma City. It said that more than likely I will have to have half of my tongue removed and then reconstruction. We are praying it comes back clear, but all the symptoms lead toward it not coming back clear. My ENt is worried about it as well. So glad that we did not waste anytime this time. Right now the numbing stuff has worn off and I am in a good deal of pain from the biopsy. I am going to bed once the meds kick in.
Posted By: misskate Re: flipping out - 02-25-2010 12:17 AM
Get some rest honey. Hoping its nothing. So sorry you are dealing with this. K
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: flipping out - 02-25-2010 01:16 AM
Angelia

My opinion is that it is time for you to start using that PEG to put some Wine down it tonight and tomorrow until you get the biopsy results on Friday. I know, I know that alcohol does not solve any problems, but there is a reason why the first recorded miracle of Jesus in the Bible was to turn water into wine - or at least that's what the Irish catholic priests always told us altar-boys back in the day wink
Let's hope for the best, and such rapid tumor growth does sound unlikely. As others posted, there are lots of non cancer reasons for your lump, ranging from radiation, water perfusion, scarring, infection etc etc. Sometimes a lump is just a lump. You do deserve a break.
charm
Posted By: walknlite Re: flipping out - 02-25-2010 01:28 AM
I hope it is just a lump. As it was not there last week when my ear began to hurt. I saw it on Sunday and the pain got progressively worse. I do have some wine, but not the heavy stuff. I do the pain patch and Lortab, so maybe if I put enough Lortab in my tube...
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: flipping out - 02-25-2010 01:51 AM
that's the spirit, I ignored the prescription warnings and routinely put percocet down my PEG with a wine chaser for over two years now and no ill effects. I do avoid the heavy stuff though - no vodka etc. Too much of a good thing for me.
Charm
Posted By: walknlite Re: flipping out - 02-25-2010 02:42 AM
How do you get rid of the fear? It scares me because the ear pain started last week. I immediately looked at my tongue and felt of it and there was nothing there. Sunday morning I woke up and boom, it was really swollen and there was a big hard raised area. At least we did not waste anytime in getting this thing checked.
Posted By: wheels Re: flipping out - 02-25-2010 02:54 AM
Angelia, We are praying for a good report and continued healing and strength.

Sharon
Posted By: EzJim Re: flipping out - 02-25-2010 12:33 PM
Maybe having the pain in your thoughts so much make it more pronounced? Both of my ears hurt like crazy and wake me at nite. I take a perc or a swig on Magic MW and roll over and sleep more. THen in the morning I put the pain in the tool shed for later. As always Angelia, you know I am 100 % behind you.
Posted By: walknlite Re: flipping out - 02-25-2010 01:04 PM
Thanks, Jim. I too have magic mouthwash and use it to numb the area. Once the area is numb, the ear pain stops as well.
Posted By: slim Re: flipping out - 02-25-2010 01:47 PM
Angelia, I'm so sorry that this nightmare never seems to end for you. I'm glad you were able to get in to see the doctor ASAP and that he did a biopsy. I pray everything turns out o.k. You are so overdue for a break. Hugs.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: flipping out - 02-25-2010 01:59 PM
Waiting SUCKS!!!
Posted By: Nancy T Re: flipping out - 02-25-2010 09:22 PM
Angelia,

I'm so sorry you are having to go through all of this. Please try to get some rest tonight and I hope they call you early with the biopsy results so you can hopefully hear some good news!!! My prayers are with you. Take care.
Posted By: wilckdds Re: flipping out - 02-26-2010 12:54 AM
Praying for good news for you tomorrow.

I'll be checking here and on FB.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum