Posted By: Ophelia89 Weird tongue Symptom - 02-22-2009 12:52 AM
I have never had oral cancer but i'm a bit paranoid right now and could use some help. The night before last i thought i had a canker sore on my tongue. A bit painful of course but nothing that wouldn't go away on it's on within a few days, but the next day instead of a canker the left part of my tongue near the tip was swollen. Like when i gently press it or bite down on it it isn't squishy like a normal tongue it feels like there is something there and when i press the left side of my throat it hurts too. It hurts to eat and chew because when things brush against my tongue it is like this sharp bitter pain. Should i be concerned?
Posted By: Pete D Re: Weird tongue Symptom - 02-22-2009 05:54 AM
Were I you, I'd make an appointment with an ENT -- If it goes away before then, good, but if not, then he/she can evaluate and decide if biopsy is indicated -- A biopsy is the only sure way to tell if it is a cancer or something else.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Weird tongue Symptom - 02-22-2009 01:35 PM
Do as Pete says. Twice I had a tongue infection and had to have it drained and now the blasted thing just hurts all of the time. It makes it difficult to eat. I get it checked the 10th of March at my 3 month appt.
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: Weird tongue Symptom - 02-22-2009 04:22 PM
How long have you had the sore spot? From what I can tell about 4-5 days. If it doesn't get better within the next week I would do as Pete says and go to an ENT. It's always better to be safe than sorry. I had a sore spot that I ignored for a year. Then I finally went to my dentist. I was stupid.

Good luck to you,
Suzanne
Posted By: Good1 Re: Weird tongue Symptom - 02-22-2009 05:11 PM
Suzanne

You were not stupid. Most of us had no reason to think that a sore spot on our tongue, or a place that our dental partial rubbed was cancer. We were not educated or aware, but we were not stupid.

Ophelia you have responses here from three of the wisest men in this group and they all say the same thing, get an appointment and have it looked at. Please do.

Patty
Posted By: Ray1971 Re: Weird tongue Symptom - 02-23-2009 12:03 AM
Get it checked out ASAP...don't fool around
Posted By: wilckdds Re: Weird tongue Symptom - 02-23-2009 12:35 AM
The general rule as stated above is if there is something not normal in your mouth that doesn't go away in 2 weeks, it should be biopsied. You should get a professional opinion as soon as possible from a dentist, oral surgeon or ENT. It might take you a week or more to get the appointment, so call tomorrow.

Where are you located in PA?

Jerry
Posted By: IowaGirl Re: Weird tongue Symptom - 03-15-2009 10:42 PM
Not me personally, but my mom waited about 2 weeks...with a sore spot on her tongue. She went to dentist and 5 days later we were at the ENT in University of Iowa Hospital. DONT WAIT>>>>
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Weird tongue Symptom - 03-16-2009 12:55 PM
Smart people in Iowa....where is Iowa anyway? Potatoes and wrestling capital of the world.
Posted By: IowaGirl Re: Weird tongue Symptom - 03-16-2009 04:20 PM
IOWA is corn my friend...not potatoes!!!! Wrestling yes...Dan Gable.....sunny and warm here well warm for us is 50 degrees...Gettin ready to put the crops in april/may!!!
Posted By: RPCV Re: Weird tongue Symptom - 03-16-2009 07:19 PM
Hi IowaGirl, Welcome!

[quote=IowaGirl]IOWA is corn my friend...not potatoes!!!! Wrestling yes...Dan Gable.....Gettin ready to put the crops in april/may!!! [/quote]

I want those who are unfamiliar with REAL wrestling (NCAA, etc.) to know that Dan is one of the best coaches ever. And IowaGirl, we are gearing up for the crops here as well. Corn goes in "when the oak leaves are as big as squirrels' feet."
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Weird tongue Symptom - 03-16-2009 11:00 PM
Oh that's Idaho not Iowa. My bad. lol
Posted By: IowaGirl Re: Weird tongue Symptom - 03-17-2009 03:12 AM
well just hate to think i live in the middle of potato field..is corn my friend...hee hee~~~
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Weird tongue Symptom - 03-17-2009 12:39 PM
I think corn and potatoes go well together. At least on a plate.
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Weird tongue Symptom - 03-17-2009 02:04 PM
I guess since you guys have hijacked this thread into a series of potatoes and corn comments, that Ophelia89 isn't coming back since David (and the followers of his posts in this thread after a good start) has become the message board jokester. Should I now move her thread to the friends forum?
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Weird tongue Symptom - 03-17-2009 02:17 PM
My bad but since Ophelia89 posted Feb 21 and everyone answered Feb 22 and nothing more was said and O89 never even responded I assumed it was OK to respond to Iowa girls comment posted almost a month later. To me it was like a new post anyway.
Posted By: IowaGirl Re: Weird tongue Symptom - 03-18-2009 05:05 PM
i apologize....truly sorry
Posted By: Cookey Re: Weird tongue Symptom - 03-18-2009 06:35 PM
go and stand in the corner you two. lol
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Weird tongue Symptom - 03-18-2009 09:21 PM
Oh so you can watch!!!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum