Posted By: goose2002 Lip Cancer - 11-02-2007 04:12 AM
I am a 38 yo male. 3 weeks ago a I had a bump (looked like a zit) removed from my lower lip. It had been there a few months and wasn't going away. At times it felt like it was shrinking and at other times it felt like it was getting larger and harder.

Anyway, she called yesterday and said the biopsy came back cancerous, but they did not know the strain? Not sure what that means. She is going to try and get me in with an ENT today. What questions should I ask? Who in the country is best equipped and trained to handle this type of cancer?

I want to make sure I do everything that I can to fight this. I am so happy to have found this site!

Thanks!
Posted By: Cookey Re: Lip Cancer - 11-02-2007 04:33 AM
Hi Frank

sorry your news wasnt so good but you are sure in the right place to get all the information and support you need.

The tissue taken from your lip will be examined extensively under microscope,and the cells contained within the lump should be identified as firstly malignant,secondly the type of malignancy for example,squamous cell carcinoma,or mucoepidermoid and thirdly they should be able to tell if it is contained or has invaded other structures,and what stage it is at.
To get more information about identifying and staging ,use the side bar on the home page of the forum.Alternatively use the search engine at the top of the page.If all this is too complicated just Google "lip cancer".The forum also gives you advice on the top cancer centresin your area.

Questions to ask... what are my options,what will the treatment involve,what are the side effects,what is the prognosis,how will it effect my quality of life,and most of all what can i do to help myself.

Get reading Frank take someone with you to your appointment,write your questions down in advance,and get your supporter to write down all the answers.Dont leave the doctors office untl you feel informed and satisfied with the answers,knowledge is power.
Then come back and chew the fat with all of us.

good luck

love Liz
Posted By: goose2002 Re: Lip Cancer - 11-02-2007 04:48 AM
Thanks Liz!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum