Posted By: bigmike Veloscope ID - 11-01-2007 11:52 AM
Hi guys, I hope you can help me. I quit chewing tobacco after using for several years and I was a smoker before that. High-risk category. I am vigilant with self-exams and saw a suspiscious mark on my tongue. I went to a dentist with a Veloscope, who said that the tongue was fine (swollen salivary gland), but a small patch flouresced (sp?) on my check under the veloscope. It is about a cm or so and very difficult to see with the naked eye, although a small white patch is noted. I AM IN A PANIC. The dentist wants to repeat the exam in a week; I feel like getting a surgical biopsie yesterday. Given my history, I feel sure it is something. Any advice for now, and how should I proceed if it is cancerous? Thanks
Posted By: emmylou1951 Re: Veloscope ID - 11-01-2007 07:55 PM
Hi Mike, and welcome to OCF! Hold on, shortly there will be several responders to your post saying "take a deep breath...now, breathe"..."it ain't cancer til the dr. says it's cancer"...
Whatever 'it' is, there's nothing you can do until you get your report next week. Try to think positively and keep your wits about you if possible.
If 'it' IS cancer, we'll be here to help you through the process.

Lois & Buzz in NC
Posted By: wilckdds Re: Veloscope ID - 11-01-2007 09:15 PM
Mike,

Glad to hear that you are feeling better about your situation after our emails.

Jerry
Posted By: bigmike Re: Veloscope ID - 11-02-2007 05:04 PM
Thanks to everyone. I have resumed breathing thanks to your prompt replies. I've had the best day today since the situation began. My prayers are with you guys and I will let you know more as soon as I do. I am very grateful.

Mike
Posted By: brenfran25 Re: Veloscope ID - 11-02-2007 07:54 PM
Keep posting Mike!
We're all here to listen, understand, sympathise and offer any relevant advice.
Continue to breathe deeply---it really does help!

Brenda
Posted By: Dr. Mike Re: Veloscope ID - 11-03-2007 05:00 PM
Mike,
Sounds like Jerry has provided you with some good info. I, like Jerry, also utilize the Velsope in my practice. It is not the magic wand and needs to be utilized along with a proper medical, dental and family history; a proper visual examination and physical palpation head and neck examination. Then all the information need to be interpreted before a lesion is destined for biopsy etc.
I'm sure Jerry has filled you in.
If I can offer any help PM or e-mail me.

Mike
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum