Posted By: PeteyB Swollen lymph node - 04-19-2007 07:18 PM
I'm slowly making progress to be seen for treatment. I fear I may have to go to the emergency room and start screaming bloody murder until they see me. The lymph node under the left side of my chin is almost the size of a golf ball now. It is looking repulsive. I can not touch my chin to my chest because of it. Can it burst? Do they drain them? My tumor is also changing. It looks like a small pea sized lump of skin is growing at the front of the tumor. For the first time I am experiencing real fear and urgency. Also my GP prescribed percocet. They help a little more than the percodan but make me a little nauseous and I need to take 2 to not have pain. Other than go see a tumor board....any suggestions? How about a better med? I think my Doc thinks I just want a buzz. To me, & the mirror it is quite obvious I am in pain.
Posted By: Robroaster Re: Swollen lymph node - 04-19-2007 08:24 PM
See about some oxy dose.
Posted By: JAM Re: Swollen lymph node - 04-19-2007 08:40 PM
Petey, If, in fact you have been diagnosed with cancer, then the Doc. who thinks you "just want a buzz" is an IDIOT! Amy in the Ozarks
Posted By: Cookey Re: Swollen lymph node - 04-20-2007 07:51 AM
Petey, Robins secodary tumour in his jaw area,grew at an alarming rate once it appeared.By christmas he couldnt open his mouth to eat at all and he was in constant pain.If yours follows the same course you will have no choice but to have urgent medical attention.Robins felt very hard to the touch and i dont think there was any question of it bursting but there was always the danger of it leaking cancerous cells to other tissues

Liz in the uk
Posted By: RileyMc Re: Swollen lymph node - 04-20-2007 04:35 PM
Petey, you need surgery. The swollen lymph node is a metasisis of the cancer. Where is the primary?
Posted By: PeteyB Re: Swollen lymph node - 04-21-2007 10:44 AM
Hey RileyMc.
I sent you 2 private messages. (not read) Read the faq at the top of page to learn about them. Awaiting your replies. Petey smile
Posted By: Dragan Re: Swollen lymph node - 04-21-2007 01:11 PM
Petey, you have a right to pain management. If the meds you have aren't working, say so and demand something that will.
Wayne
Posted By: PeteyB Re: Swollen lymph node - 04-22-2007 09:02 AM
Hey Wayne.
By reading the charts on www.nccn.org I would say my pain is a 6-7. It says I should use a stronger opiod. My GP is not a cancer Dr. What would you suggest I ask him for. I am rx-101 in meds. I had percodans but had to take 3 at a time to be comfortable. He then gave me percocet. They are a little better, but I still use a double dose.Also they only give about a 7-10 day supply. I printed a few pages for him to read. I know I can't just walk in and say, hey Doc, how about some morphine or oxymorphone. If you think that's too strong, how about oxycodone. What do you suggest? Thanks for helping.
Posted By: Nancy A. Re: Swollen lymph node - 04-24-2007 10:56 PM
Petey,

My sister was prescribed percocet for her pain which took too long to kick in, she would reach 10 on the pain threshold and then have seizures. Her oncologist gave her liquid morphine, which works a bit faster and seems to keep the pain in check. One thing she learned is not let the pain get too bad, before you take the meds. Once it gets to 3-4 level you should be taking the pain reliever. She is on a peg tube so takes the morphine with a bit of formula (food), because morphine can cause nausea on an empty stomach, but taking it with food decreases it's effectiveness, it's a two way street. Good luck to you and you are entitled to good pain management, be sure you share that with your doctor.

Nancy
Posted By: PeteyB Re: Swollen lymph node - 04-24-2007 11:42 PM
Thank You All!
He prescribed oxycodone 15. They are better and 1t keeps it tolerable. Nancy, I hear you. I try not to take them but why hurt? What I do now is take them on a 5 hour schedual. My pain is increasing beacause I'm not in treatment. That will finally end!
Posted By: karenanddad Re: Swollen lymph node - 04-25-2007 01:14 PM
Petey when do you see a CANCER doctor? What's up?
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum