Posted By: houseisoverflowing Wierd Visual Problems - 11-11-2005 08:32 AM
In the last week I have begun to have problems with my vision. Specifically - I am seeing lights dim and then get very bright - kind of like a power surge makes the lights in your home dim and then brighten up. These "flashes" are getting more frequent - they started out just 2-3 times per day - now they happen every hour or so. Also I'm having sharp and severe ear pain (only in the ear on the surgery side). Should I be concerned, or are these fairly common symptoms?

I have a CCC appointment in Baltimore on Tuesday 11/15/05 - should I call my regular doctor? I don't want to panic, but I don't want to be passive if this is something serious.

Thanks in advance for your ongoing support.

Jenn
Posted By: Steve Daib Re: Wierd Visual Problems - 11-11-2005 10:13 AM
Hi,

See or call your MD soon. Also see an opthamologist. Chemo caused me a stigmatism in one eye. Common I have heard. But you should be checked ASAP.

Steve
Posted By: Andrea Re: Wierd Visual Problems - 11-11-2005 10:31 AM
Jenn, I fully agree with Steve...your concern is appropriate, and you should get this checked out. Whether or not it is a direct result of the surgery you have had, it is a new and potentially important set of symptoms and should be looked at ASAP!
Don't cancel your CCC appointment, but hie thee to a Doctor in the meantime!!

Andrea
Posted By: Mark Re: Wierd Visual Problems - 11-11-2005 10:35 AM
Hello Jenn, Without trying to alarm you, I would suggest an immediate phone call to both your regular doc and to the doctor you are seeing on Tuesday. I have not heard anyone here express that visual symptom before. It may be related to your treatments or may not but I think it is worth the call. The ear pain is common but I would be sure to mention that as well. Don't understate the level of pain.
Posted By: Uptown Re: Wierd Visual Problems - 11-11-2005 10:44 AM
Jenn,

I have had this problem since chemo. I describe as a white blurry flash but the colors go away and it lasts about 1-2 seconds. I notice it most (I know this will sound gross) when standing up getting ready to go to the bathroom. It seems to be only as I use the muscles that start the flow. I have talked with the doctors and even 2 years later, it is less frequent but has not gone away. There have been no explanations.

Ed
Posted By: tizz Re: Wierd Visual Problems - 11-12-2005 01:52 AM
Hi Jenn,

I had vision problems after the end of radio, saw intermittent stranges colours and flashes. My Radio Onc suggested it may be from losing weight quickly, and perhaps from losing body fat around the eyeball. I'm not sure if I really believed it, so I saw an opthalmologist and my eyes tested fine, no cause for concern. I didn't like that opthalmologist though, so have never returned. And the flashes ceased after a couple of months.

Eye tests with another doctor recently for a new pair of glasses, were fine. I don't have much problem with my eyes now.

Cheers!

Tizz
Posted By: Eileen Re: Wierd Visual Problems - 11-13-2005 08:08 PM
Hi Jenn,
I second Mark's remarks. Whether anyone else has had similar symptoms is not important. I'd get this checked out at CCC and make certain you don't forget any symptoms. I'd keep a log between now and your apointment of all problems and when they occur. I'd also include what I was doing and what I ate that day. Here's hoping it is nothing but get it checked out.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: Michaelii Re: Wierd Visual Problems - 11-14-2005 06:05 PM
I agree that good communication with your care team is essential.

Just wanted to let you know that I too have had weird vision problems (blurry vision and double vision) and lately been feeling like I'm going to blackout (dizzy). I've talked to the Drs about it and they blame it on changes to the ear canals (?) & some other "tube" I can't recall right now; from the effects of radiation, and possibly dehydration too.

Just thought I'd share that for whatever it's worth.

PS: I am NOT a Dr smile
Posted By: sr Re: Wierd Visual Problems - 11-15-2005 09:46 AM
I have just found this page and it has helped so much. Mum has had blurred vision and pain in her head and the top of her eye. Doctor is referring her for a brain scan as a precaution. so pleased to read this page as it seems a few people have suffered this.
Posted By: deni Re: Wierd Visual Problems - 11-15-2005 11:19 PM
Please get it checked ASAP. Bob too had some vison problems and lightheadedness about seven/eight months after treatment. His Rad doc thought it might be from a hardening of the arteries in the radiation field. Turns out it was from diabetes and slightly high blood pressure. They think the diabetes is from his rapid wieght loss and then wieght gain. I had to threaten him to get him to check it out but now with meds and a change in diet he is right as rain...don't mess around with these symptoms any of the causes untreated could be serious but most likely can be treated.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum