Posted By: PEARLD NOT THE USUAL CANCER - 01-28-2005 09:18 AM
MY COUSIN HAS JUST BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH MOUTH CANCER. TUMOR IS UNDER HER RIGHT EYE ON THE CHEEK BONE. LAB REPORTS CAME BACK INITIALLY AS IT BEING CANCER, BUT NOT THE USUAL FORMS. BIOPSY SENT OUT FOR FURTHER TESTS. ANYONE WITH INFO PLEASE RESPOND.
SHE IS GOING CRAZY WITH THE LACK OF ANSWERS
Posted By: helen.c Re: NOT THE USUAL CANCER - 01-28-2005 10:37 AM
Hi Pearld
Can you tell us a bit more, I'm not quite sure what you mean about not the usual form of cancer? When will she get the results of the biospy?
There is a lot of information here and we will all help if we can..
Sunshine.. love and hugs
Helen
Posted By: PEARLD Re: NOT THE USUAL CANCER - 01-29-2005 09:21 AM
I QUESS I MISQUOTED. THE DR. SAID IT WAS NOT YOUR TYPICAL FORM OF MOUTH CANCER. THERE IS A TUMOR, IS SPREADING TO THE NASAL CAVITY AND POSSIBLY THE EYE. THE RESULTS SHOULD BE IN ANY DAY. DR. WASN'T CLEAR ABOUT WHAT "NOT TYPICAL" WOULD MEAN.
DR. HAS SAID SHE IS TO START TREATMENT ASAP.
Posted By: Gary Re: NOT THE USUAL CANCER - 01-29-2005 04:06 PM
Hi Pearl,
I know that you must be totally freaked out about your cousins tumor.

My father had a skin cancer that had gotten very close to the eye socket. I believe it was SCC. He had a procedure called micro-mohs surgery where they surgically excised the tumor, froze it and made slices, stained and examined it for clear margins, then excised more as necessary until they finally got it all. It was a pretty good sized skin cancer that had grown into the bone of his skull - it required some bone shaving and 130 stitches with a skin graft. The procedure affords minimal tissue loss.

PS in the cyber world, people who use all caps are like having someone shout at you all the time.
Posted By: KirkGeorgia Re: NOT THE USUAL CANCER - 01-29-2005 06:51 PM
PEARLD, sorry to hear of your cousin's situation and that you had to find us. Hopefully, we can help. Is she being treated at a major comprehensive cancer center? If not, would suggest you get her to a major cancer center to get the best treatment possible. Also, is the cancer on the skins surface or beneath the surface? What is the treatment plan recommended by the doctor? Surgery, radiation, chemotherapy, or all three and in what order? The more details we have, the better we can respond to your questions.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum