Posted By: AzTarHeel Extra capsular spread? - 06-08-2004 08:41 PM
Does anyone know what "extra capsular spread" means? My ENT looked at my path reports following Friday's radical neck dissection and said there was one node involved only (out of more than 30 he took out). He mentioned extra capsular spread, and I didn't think to follow up with a question on what that meant until after I hung up with him.

Thanks...

Eric
Posted By: aussieh Re: Extra capsular spread? - 06-08-2004 09:53 PM
Hi Eric,

It refers to whether the tumour mass has penetrated the lymph capsule or not. If it is contained within the capsule that is good because it has been removed surgically, spread from the capsule is not favourable because malignant cells are unrestrained in the system.

You are doing well, love from Helen cool
Posted By: AzTarHeel Re: Extra capsular spread? - 06-09-2004 01:14 AM
I'm a little confused by your response, helen... I think he said I did have extra capsular spread, so I guess that's not such good news... but then he said it was only in one node, so maybe he meant there wasn't... I'll definitely have to follow up...
Posted By: Mark Re: Extra capsular spread? - 06-09-2004 01:16 AM
Hello Eric, I believe Helen is correct, It means the cancer was looking for a new home. I suggest you not let that get you down. I had the same report on one of my nodes also. Just keep doing what they tell you and stay well.

PS I have considered the thought that puncturing the "node capsule" (as in biopsy needle) might cause that kind of pathology report as well.
Posted By: AzTarHeel Re: Extra capsular spread? - 06-09-2004 03:17 PM
Thanks Mark -- that makes sense now... I guess I should be glad that while it was looking for a new home, it hadn't yet found one... I would assume the big issue now is "micro mets"... the oncologist today mentioned chemo as a way to attack that possibility... never a dull moment, eh?
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum