Posted By: helen.c Mucosa - 04-06-2004 03:00 PM
After my biopsies I read part of my notes... unside down... one good thing about having working in a print factory... There was only a nurse around, no Doc so couldn't ask the right questions... It stated the "mucosa bleeds on palpatation" Question ??? Should It?? Can anyone help? Long time before results are in..
Thanks All
Helen
Posted By: Brett Re: Mucosa - 04-06-2004 03:54 PM
"A mucosa is moist tissue that lines some organs and body cavities (such as nose, mouth, lungs) and secretes mucous (a thick fluid)." No, your mucosa shouldn't bleed on palpatation. However, this can be a common complication associated with mucositis -- which is a common complication associated with chemo and radiation treatment. Make sure you are meticulouosly maintaining your oral hygiene and discuss if further with your health care professional.

-Brett
Posted By: Gary Re: Mucosa - 04-07-2004 04:07 AM
I hacked up blood and dead tissue for months after I finished radiation treatment. They have to write all of their observations on your chart. I would ask the doctor just for peace of mind but as Brett stated, it is a common side effect.
Posted By: helen.c Re: Mucosa - 04-07-2004 08:04 AM
My problem is that I have not had radiation or chemo.. I have had 2 lots of lasar surgery over the last 2 years with assorted biopsies along the way.. the latest yesterday... will have to wait until the 19th of April for the results.. Will ask more then.
Thanks
Helen
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum