Posted By: TINA HUBBYS BIOPSY - 03-25-2004 11:20 AM
HI, MY HUSBAND HAS A NICLKE SIZED RES LESION ON HIS TONGUE, AND 1 IN HIS THROAT. ITS BEEN THERE FOR 3 MONTHS OR SO. DENIAL IS AN AMAZING THING, DOC WANTED A BIOPSY 2 MONTHS AGO, MIKE JUST AGREED. SCHEDULED FOR APRIL7, BECAUSE HES ON COUMADIN FOR DVTS AND MUST BE OFF THEM TO PREVENT BLEEDING OUT.BTW, EACH TIME HES GONE OF THE THINNERS, THE CLOT HAS RETURNED, SO THIS IS A DOUBLE WHAMMY. I LOOKED IN THE IMAGE GALLERY AND EACH PIC THAT LOOKED LIKE HIS TURNED OUT TO BE CARCINOMA. ANY IDEA WHAT I CAN EXPECT, SHOULD I PUSH THE DOC FOR HIS OPINION AFTER THE BIOPSY OR BE QUIET AND WAIT? I'M A WRECK, WE HAVE 3 KIDS,AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO EXPECT. THANKS GUYS, TINA
Posted By: TINA Re: HUBBYS BIOPSY - 03-25-2004 11:25 AM
WELL, ITS ME. I CAN USUALLY SPELL WHEN IM NOT CRYING LIKE AN IDIOT!! HIS LESIONS ARE RED, NOT RES. AND THEY ARE NICKLE SIZED. SHEESH, I HAVE TO GET A GRIP. smile TINA
Posted By: Debbie Domer/Caregiver Re: HUBBYS BIOPSY - 03-25-2004 01:34 PM
Hey Tina,
My husband had what started out to be a normal canker sore, but white if you have ever had one. He waited to it got to past nickel size on his tongue and then the reg doc waited another month giving him antibotics for what he thought was a viral infection. To make a long story shorter, it was Squamous Cell Carcinoma, Stage 3 by then and we have just been through so much since then. I would definitely not wait as it did us great harm the longer we were put off. It might not be cancer, but now we know anything that lasts longer than 2 weeks in your mouth is defintely something you want checked and hopefully biopsied to be sure as soon as possible. In Dan's case, the cancer moved and became agressive extremely fast, so NO don't hesitate.

Get a great support system and my prayers are with you.
Thanks,
Debbie
Posted By: Carol L Re: HUBBYS BIOPSY - 03-25-2004 02:08 PM
Hi Tina, I too had a white sore on my tongue for several months before my dentist sent me to an oral surgeon (my dentist put me on antibiotics in February) for a biopsy in April, which came back negative for cancer. The sore got worse, I finally saw a different oral surgeon who took one look at it and diagnosed it as Squamous Cell Carcinoma and made a date for surgery (diagnosis from him 05/10). Please do not let your husand wait any longer, I am not trying to be negative but time is precious, my cancer spread to two of lymph nodes in my neck and I had 1/2 of my tongue removed followed by 7 weeks of radiation. I wonder had my dentist acted quicker back in January, would I have gone through all that. Keep Looking Up!!!!God Bless!
Posted By: Gary Re: HUBBYS BIOPSY - 03-25-2004 03:40 PM
Tina,
If it was simple enough to Dx from a picture on the internet he wouldn't need a biopsy. The pathology report from the biopsy will reveal what it truly is. Until then it's NOT cancer.

I had an oral surgeon, MD and dentist in my mouth and none of them could Dx it correctly. Even the Head & Neck surgeon I subsequently went to would not give me a Dx until the pathology report came back. Even though I had a rather pronounced, highly visible tumor, the Head & Neck doctor wouldn't speculate on what it was. His reason was that it could be a number of things some of them benign. If the biopsy report turns out positive for cancer you will not have to "push" the doctors, they will start into action immediately. There will be a number of other tests and scans that will have to be run to complete the workup. From that they will develop a treatment plan as applicable.

He was probably wise to wait until the Coumadin wore off before getting a biopsy. I take it his doctor knew he was on Coumadin?

We can all relate to the denial thing, I waited almost 9 months before getting a biopsy - probably added a stage or two. Many of us here had "late" Dx's and are alive to tell about it. Like others have said it important to get to the bottom of this expediously at this point.

Take a deep breath, turn off your "cap" key (it's like you're shouting at us!). Be sure sure to take good notes or tape record what the doctors are telling you at your visits. They give a lot of information in a condensed time period upon which important decisions must be made and you will need ALL of the information. One of you has to keep a cool head. My wife was my note taker and absolutely vital. We are here to help fill the blanks or help you with the right questions to ask..

Try to stay in the "now". The past has already gone (and stop beating yourself up about the 2 month delay on the biopsy - most of us only see the doc every 2 months anyway) and none of us knows what lies in our future.
Posted By: Mark Re: HUBBYS BIOPSY - 03-25-2004 03:57 PM
Yes Tina,

Try not to think of all the bad things. There are plenty of other things it might be. Only after the pathologist says what it is can you be sure. You will do just fine, even if it is cancer it is NOT the end.

Concentrate on what you can do right now like locating a comprehensive cancer center (read Large Hospital) If you need to know what is close by, tell us what city you live in or near and we can help give suggestions. Listen to his doctor and take notes. If it is cancer you will want to move ahead decisively but not with panic!

Take care.

P.S. It is really hard to tell cancer just by looking.
Posted By: Carol L Re: HUBBYS BIOPSY - 03-25-2004 04:28 PM
Tina, I re-read my posting and didn't want to be so negative about your husband's situation based on my own experience, I apologize for that.

Gary and Mark offered excellent advice. Remember, try to take one day at a time, that's all any of us can do. THINK POSITIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!Let's pray it is not cancer, but if it is, it is NOT the end, as Mark said. I am coming up on my two year anniversary since my diagnosis. SMILE!!!! Take Care, Carol
Posted By: Darrell G. Rakestraw Re: HUBBYS BIOPSY - 03-25-2004 05:23 PM
Hi Tina, Talk about a rock and a hard place, my heart goes out to you. Follow the advice of Gary and Mark and as Mark says, "It is not the End".
Iam currently in treatment for Squamous Cell Carcinoma and it is not bad at all...
Posted By: TINA Re: HUBBYS BIOPSY - 03-25-2004 05:55 PM
Thank you all for your kind words. It's only been a few days since the biopsy was ordered so I'm in panic mode, I'll take care of the details so Mike can concentrate on being well. And yes, the Doc knows about the coumadin and clots, all his Drs. stay in close touch. Depending on the outcome I'll need a center in or near Chicago, so I'll sure ask for some ideas if we get to that. I'm so glad i found this site.
Posted By: Gary Re: HUBBYS BIOPSY - 03-25-2004 06:50 PM
Hi Tina,
go to this site for the NCI/NCCN member comprehensive cancer centers http://www.nccn.org/

"Large hospital" may not necessarily translate into a comprehensive cancer center. I live in an area with 15 million people and we have lots of "large hospitals" but only 2 comprehensive cancer centers (Stanford & UCSF).

If it IS cancer you don't want to fool around with the "second string players". Your best shot at this is a multidisciplinary team with a proven track record.
Posted By: JetAgeHobo Re: HUBBYS BIOPSY - 03-25-2004 07:34 PM
Tina, There's a lot of things it could be and not be cancer. A couple of months ago my oncologist insisted I have an area on my cheek biopsied, from the pics on the site here it was a tossup whether or not cancer. Had the surgeon take the whole lesion out, about the size of a dime.

Turned out to be lichen planus, really nothing to worry about. But, better safe than sorry, and instead of having a pretty bad looking lesion, it's now just scar tissue.

Hang in there and good luck.
Bob
Posted By: Mark Re: HUBBYS BIOPSY - 03-25-2004 10:17 PM
Thank you for correcting my speech
Posted By: GRE1 Re: HUBBYS BIOPSY - 03-25-2004 11:34 PM
I don't know Gary, I'm with Mark here. Stanford and UCSF are fairly large hospitals. I go to MSKCC in NYC and it is REALLY large! It takes up several city blocks.
Posted By: TINA Re: HUBBYS BIOPSY - 03-27-2004 04:26 PM
Hi, me again. As you know, We havent even had the biopsy yet, but it is soon. After reading about treatment options and the difficulty it entails, Mike has made a decision. If it is an aggresive cancer, and he's waited too long (4months) he will refuse all treatment. This isnt a knee jerk reaction. He has weighed his options and decided.Aside from this, he has had many other medical problems (serious ones) and he has had enough. His faith is strong, and he would rather just go home to Heaven with rest and peace.Again, thank you all for your words of comfort and hope, and I'm still praying for a good outcome. But we shall see. Thank you again, and please forgive me if i come here and post sounding like a crazy woman. Fondly, Tina
Posted By: Gary Re: HUBBYS BIOPSY - 03-27-2004 07:24 PM
Tina,
four months is NOT a long time and cancer death really sucks -especially without any kind of intervention or palliative care.

You can tell him he is going really piss some people off around here who have chosen to fight in spite of horrible odds. Many of us are alive to tell about it in spite of the rigors of the treatment and we are grateful to be alive and enjoying life with our families and loved ones.

If his faith is indeed as strong as you claim then he must fight. God did not give us the spirit of fear. We would all like to go to heaven but one has to ask if God's perfect plan for him life is to lay down and give up and let disease take him. Somehow I doubt it. He needs counseling.
Posted By: Daniel Bogan Re: HUBBYS BIOPSY - 03-28-2004 07:03 PM
Hi Tina & Mike,

The easiest thing to do is give up. I don't think
It's the right decision to make at all. So mamy members of this forum have endured all kinds of treatments that knock the hell out of you but they are around to tell us about it. They are fighters!!!! That's what Mike needs to do. To roll over and let this diaease win without a battle is lame. He can survive this!!!!

Remember that we are here to offer support and he can vent here anytime. The road is not nice and smooth but rather bumpy. Nothing worth fighting for is easy. He will be able to hold his head high knowing he gave it his all. What he is experiencing is not unique. Time to get over the poor me attitude and start fighting this with all he's got. Gary was right on when he said that this type of death is not an attractive way to go. Have Mike talk to his minister and some survivors and he will get in the game. Fight like Hell!!!! He can win this battle, so many others have.

Best wishes, Dan
Posted By: TINA Re: HUBBYS BIOPSY - 04-06-2004 06:45 PM
Hi All, well, the biopsy is tomorrow. Mike is very afraid, as am I. The future is very uncertian, and we have no idea what to tell the kids. We dont want to panic them, but if its a bad outcome we dont want them to feel like theyve been run over by a truck.Its very tricky.
Also, Mike had to delay the biopsy so he could stop the coumadin, so the wait has been longer than we had hoped. Now, more lesions are appearing under the tongue, and the throat & tongue one have deteriorated FAST. i have no idea how to deal with this. Its like a roller coaster. Please pray for us. Thanks, Tina
Posted By: PackersVoice Re: HUBBYS BIOPSY - 04-06-2004 08:02 PM
Tina, you`re right, about the roller coaster.....somewhere, some way, you will find the strength to fight the battle.....Sometimes, it takes getting really angry, and saying Hell, No, I`m not ready to go ! I know how scared you and Mike are right now, fear walks the path with us......but I`ve learned we as souls can fight battles, we never asked for, and even some we lose,we still win the war...........Peace and Prayers..........Dee
Posted By: Uptown Re: HUBBYS BIOPSY - 04-06-2004 10:43 PM
Tina,

I will pray for God to give you calmness and peace. I know this is such a difficult time but rest assured He will be with you every step of the way. We are all here if you need anything.

God Bless You!

Ed
Posted By: TINA Re: HUBBYS BIOPSY - 04-13-2004 03:53 PM
The best news !!!!!! Mike's biopsy was benign, no cancer. Praise God, what a relief. But we learned 3 things: How very precious life is, how many good and supportive people we have in our lives (including this board), and ITS NOT CANCER TIL THE PATHOLOGIST SAYS IT IS !!!!! That was the one I couldnt get to sink in my hard head.Thank uou all for your kind words and most of all your prayers. I will be praying for all of you, too. Fondly, Tina
Posted By: helen.c Re: HUBBYS BIOPSY - 04-13-2004 04:10 PM
Great News Tina
Fantastic.. know how hard the wait for results..am having to wait two weeks for mine because of Easter... Will be swinging off the ceiling by Sunday... But so pleased for you both..
Enjoy your time together
Hugs
Helen
Posted By: larry-b Re: HUBBYS BIOPSY - 04-13-2004 04:13 PM
hi Tina,

Wow! i think that you and Mike earned a break.

i fully agree, it ain't cancer till the biopsy comes in.

best wishes for a long, happy, cancer free life.

cu,
larryb
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum