Posted By: darko bird Is this erythroplakia? - 07-08-2014 12:39 PM
Hi everyone

Just over a week ago I had the flu with a sore throat, ear ache etc and my throat has been really dry as I had a blocked nose.
I noticed a few days ago that there are red marks on the floor of my mouth . Does this sound like erythroplakia ?
Not sure whether to book a doctors appointment or not.
I've took a photo but can't see how to upload it.

Thanks
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Is this erythroplakia? - 07-08-2014 02:37 PM
The rule of thumb is that we don't rush to the doctor with something that has been there less than a couple to three weeks. Most irritations, small ulcers, herpes simplex, and marks from trauma go away in somewhere between 14 and 21 days. Of course for those in the middle of complex treatments after diagnosis things are different. But for most American's this rule is appropriate. Things that are persistent we worry about. Persistence is over two weeks for sure. Given your recent illness this could all just be related to that. I'd give it a little longer to resolve and then go see an ent or dental professional about it. Of course under your tongue on the floor of your mouth it is the most colorful part of your oral soft tissues naturally, given the high level of vascularization there.
Posted By: Uptown Re: Is this erythroplakia? - 07-08-2014 03:01 PM
Untreated strep throat can do the same thing because of the immune system response to threat. It can be permanent. Hopefully, you, and everyone reading this understands how important strep testing is. Best wishes it resolves quickly.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum