Posted By: tamvonk Ulcer on flap - 06-13-2014 11:26 PM
Kris had his total Glossectomy 2 years and 3 months ago. The tongue was replaced with a flap from his abdomen. He has recovered well.
He has had ongoing issues with his teeth and is in the process of having them all root Canalled.
This morning he has shown me a largish ulcer on the flap. On closer inspection the ulcer coincides with where a top tooth is meeting the flap. This has somewhat calmed me down. Of course I will be phoning the ENT on Monday for him to be seen. I just really want to know that others too have had ulcers from teeth. Any advice please. Reassurance is welcome. I hate how this disease always makes one worry.
Tammy
Posted By: Uptown Re: Ulcer on flap - 06-14-2014 01:22 AM
I can't answer your question, no flap here. I do want you to know I'm really sorry for the stress ratcheting up. Nothing like a good weekend of that. Prayers for you.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Ulcer on flap - 06-14-2014 04:04 AM
Yes I have had the offensive tooth filed down... It healed well - hugs!!!
Posted By: tamvonk Re: Ulcer on flap - 06-14-2014 05:07 AM
Thanks Ed and Cheryl.
I'm trying not to dwell on this.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Ulcer on flap - 06-14-2014 01:27 PM
Hi sorry more elaboration - last night I was so fried I couldn't keep my eyes open - left the house at 8am had to force myself to get out of the car at 11 pm otherwise they would have found me asleep on there this morning. Insanely busy day. But I didn't want to leave your message unanswered either.

I find irritation for an extended period of time (because my mouth is so sensitive) - can cause an ulcer. Now because I am of the school of thought that long term chronic irritation can cause tissue change so I would have the offensive tooth made less offensive. Your hubby is 2 years out now and likely his tongue is the size it will be maybe they can debulk it - if it's too big for the space? Otherwise I would definitely go with filing and ask maybe for a prescription of oracort - it will help it heal a bit faster - but won't solve the overall problem. The tooth. And you know the Rigamarol... If it doesn't heal...

I had this happen a few times and after I had the tooth filed the problem went away... Hugs.
Posted By: tamvonk Re: Ulcer on flap - 06-16-2014 10:39 PM
Our ENT is away this week so we were seen by one of the others.
He does not think it looks malignant but took a biopsy - as he should. We should have the results Thursday or Friday
Kris has been gargling with salt and sodium bicarbonate since Saturday. And I do think that it looks smaller and less deep.
The ENT was not keen on applying anything to the ulcer, or on getting one of the Dentists to take a look. Wait until the biopsy results come through.
I'm feeling quietly confident.
Tammy
Posted By: Gabe Re: Ulcer on flap - 06-16-2014 11:55 PM
I once asked a few years back at my regular visit if you could get cancer on the flap and I was told no!!
If they took a biopsy I guess there is some concern Tammy.
Hope your confidence pays off for Kris and you get the result soon.
Gabriele
Posted By: Alpaca Re: Ulcer on flap - 06-17-2014 01:15 AM
Glad you have had it seen to so promptly and that the ENT didn't think it was malignant. Will be thinking of you and Kris:)
Maureen
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Ulcer on flap - 06-17-2014 04:02 PM
Hopefully it's nothing but an ulcer. I've heard of cancer under the flap, or near the line where it was attached but on the flap itself - no. Best of luck.
Posted By: tamvonk Re: Ulcer on flap - 06-20-2014 01:24 AM
Have just heard the results of Kris's biopsy.
Basically just ulcerated tissue with no signs of carcinoma. So that's a relief.
Kris has a dental appointment at the hospital next week where we will get them to file this tooth down. Goodness knows why it has taken over 2 years for this tooth to cause a problem. Especially as he sees the hospital Dentist on an almost monthly basis.
Life is good.
Tammy
Posted By: Uptown Re: Ulcer on flap - 06-20-2014 03:17 AM
Great news, Tammy!
Posted By: terrib Re: Ulcer on flap - 06-20-2014 03:21 AM
Happy for you and the good news!!
Posted By: Alpaca Re: Ulcer on flap - 06-20-2014 07:18 AM
Great news!! Do you see the dentists at Green Lane?
Posted By: tamvonk Re: Ulcer on flap - 06-20-2014 07:25 AM
No Maureen. He sees the dentist up here at Whangarei hospital.
He has been working on Kris's teeth for about a year now.
It's just too far to travel down to Auckland for all the after care. We are pretty happy up here. Just miss the SLT' at Auckland - Esther and particularly Jeanette.
Posted By: Gabe Re: Ulcer on flap - 06-20-2014 07:41 AM
Great news that the biopsy came up with a NED result for Kris.
Gabriele
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Ulcer on flap - 06-20-2014 02:01 PM
Yeah!!!!! smile
Posted By: Alpaca Re: Ulcer on flap - 06-21-2014 03:21 AM
Glad you can be seen at Whangarei. Yes, I loved Jeanette but she has just retired I think. I'm seeing Esther this Thursday and going to Greenlane (difficult journey for me) on Friday to see the oral team. I'm going to prepare some pertinent questions about the care of my remaining teeth. It's going to be one of my big challenges:)
Posted By: gmcraft Re: Ulcer on flap - 06-24-2014 12:46 AM
That's good to hear, Tammy.
Posted By: Debz Re: Ulcer on flap - 08-02-2014 02:16 PM
Hi, i had a huge ulcer on my tongue that just wouldn't heal i was about to have surgery to remove it when i tried Organic coconut oil....not only did it sooth my mouth it healed my ulcer my ENT was amazed ...might be worth a try?
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Ulcer on flap - 08-02-2014 03:25 PM
Whatever is tried in an effort to relieve a symptom should be checked out with a doctor just to make sure it doesn't interfere with the patient's treatment. Sometimes the most natural things - even vitamins can cause problems. Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: tamvonk Re: Ulcer on flap - 08-03-2014 03:07 AM
Kris's ulcer has healed well. He used Orocort and also wore a sports mouth guard to relieve the pressure on the flap from the tooth.
Our hospital has approved funding for an external provider to make him a partial plate and he has started this process. It seems his jaw has moved, a side effect from the radiation he had 3 years ago, and this has caused the pressure from a top tooth onto the tongue flap.
Tammy
Posted By: Alpaca Re: Ulcer on flap - 08-03-2014 04:17 AM
This sounds like very good news, Tammy. Some good tips in there for the rest of us too:)
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Ulcer on flap - 08-05-2014 03:30 PM
Yeah!!! Every triumph is important
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum