Posted By: Estelle Been to clinic today. Found a lump. - 06-11-2014 10:49 PM
I'm 6 months out of surgery, 3 months out of radiotherapy. A lump was found today in my neck. I'm waiting for an ultrasound now.

Hopefully a residual stitch/clip from my neck dissection.

Fingers crossed. I suppose this will be the story from now on.... ups and downs.... uncertainty; question marks. Never able to feel fully at peace.
Posted By: Alpaca Re: Been to clinic today. Found a lump. - 06-11-2014 11:36 PM
Thinking of you Estelle.
Best wishes
Maureen
Posted By: Uptown Re: Been to clinic today. Found a lump. - 06-12-2014 01:40 AM
I'm certainly hoping for nothing but good news for you, Estelle.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Been to clinic today. Found a lump. - 06-12-2014 02:58 AM
Fingers crossed my dear... smile
Posted By: Estelle Re: Been to clinic today. Found a lump. - 06-12-2014 07:09 AM
Uptown, can I ask - you were T2N2BM0 like me. How differentiated was your tumour? And how long ago were you diagnosed? I only ask because I'm desperately trying to gain a more positive perspective on survival rates. Xxxx
Posted By: Estelle Re: Been to clinic today. Found a lump. - 06-12-2014 07:09 AM
I get very mixed up with the dates the other way around; I'm a little dyslexic for numbers xx
Posted By: Uptown Re: Been to clinic today. Found a lump. - 06-12-2014 11:32 AM
Estelle, as a mathematically inclined personal my survival rate was 100%. Mine was moderately differentiated which meant nothing to me. Either it is or it isn't is what I felt.

I was diagnosed July 18-21, 2003. July 18 I had an incisional biopsy and I was told it looked like TB. Monday, July 21, I got THE call.

I have "worried" about cancer a few times since then but mostly long ago, during the first year or two. It was from the trauma of everything from diagnosis through the first year.

This is the most positive perspective I can give you. My mind made up a lot of things when it could.

Hang in there and try to get your kind past the brutality of treatment. Things will start looking much better. I also lost 85 lbs during treatment and 96 lbs 8-9 years out.
Posted By: Estelle Re: Been to clinic today. Found a lump. - 06-12-2014 11:53 AM
Thank you so much for your reply; I'm very grateful. I'm glad you're 9 years ahead! That's fantastic!

I think getting back to work next Wednesday will be very constructive - take my mind off myself and back on my patients!
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Been to clinic today. Found a lump. - 06-12-2014 12:57 PM
Do let us know.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Been to clinic today. Found a lump. - 06-12-2014 03:17 PM
Hey Estelle. It could very well be a stitch. Is it hard and moveable but small?

I have a clamp in my neck. It's quite lovely from a frankenstein standpoint. Seriously. It's located in the center of my marvelous neck scar, and it protrudes when my neck turns a certain way. Its a bit smaller than a pea. There are more than one for sure - so says Dr. Irish, and I have some terrific little stitches holding me together. I would probably be super panicked about the little bump in my scar if it was a new discovery but I felt it immediately after my surgery, and actually went to the rads clinic to have it looked at. Then my Surgeon confirmed it was a snazzy clamp. I have a few apparently... and enough staples to hold together a phone book. As the skin on my neck gets back to normal and thins out (edema is gone essentially) I can feel one or two more. If it's bigger and still growing that's when you get concerned. But being a nurse you also know that nodes are sensitive souls and react to all manner of things. (inflammation, infection etc...) so hopefully it's nothing but do have it checked out and good luck. Chances are if you've had a dissection you should be okay. As you also know the further down your neck, (out of the area where the nodes were removed) then it's a little more concerning - There is also the potential for bilateral involvement. So beat a path to his door asap -if for no other reason than to ease your mind and push for the ultrasound and results NOW. Hugs.
Posted By: Estelle Re: Been to clinic today. Found a lump. - 06-12-2014 05:18 PM
Yes Cheryl, that's exactly what it feels like, plus I've been having lymphedema massage, which has reduced my gob, neck and face laugh

I feel pretty hopeful it's only a clip or stitch, and I know my consultant does too.

My team are as pernickety as the patients - if there is *anything* suspect they check it out: I am so lucky xx
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum