Posted By: angelsrock lymph node question - 02-13-2014 02:33 PM
Hi everyone, I had a question about lymph node enlargement. I had my tumor removed in Novemeber, still dealing with mouth issues after that but they got clear margins and said to just keep following up, I go every month or so. I was obviously ecstatic about this, now I have found a swollen lymph node on the back of my neck, probably 1 cm to 1.5 cm. The issue I am having with this, is that I am not sick nor have I been sick recently. So of course I am freaking that it spread to lymph nodes. It is moveable but also not normal. Does this lead to concern? Should I just watch it for a couple weeks and see if it goes down or enlarges? Thanks so much!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: lymph node question - 02-13-2014 02:47 PM
Jessica, when you have concerns contact your physician and go get yourself checked out. It never hurts to be cautious. If it would be something serious, treating it early is better than late.

Hope its nothing serious!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: lymph node question - 02-13-2014 02:56 PM
Jessica... Do not walk... RUN to your ENT. I would rather have it looked at and be certain than leave it and not know. SCC can seed to the nodes in microscopic form and NOT be discovered on a scan or anything until it grows. Nodes are usually painless so this is no indicator. Now I know you had MEC which is not the same as SCC - but cancer is cancer and for the most part one cancer can behave in a similar fashion to others. Clear margins means they got all of the tumor, but it doesn't mean it hasn't spread. Better to be safe than sorry. hugs and good luck.
Posted By: fishmanpa Re: lymph node question - 02-13-2014 03:32 PM
Your concern is certainly understandable. We all get a little antsy when something comes up a bit out of the ordinary after we've been through this.

For your peace of mind it would be best to give your docs a call.

Positive thoughts

Posted By: PaulB Re: lymph node question - 02-13-2014 04:10 PM
I concur with everyone, see your ENT for anything out of the ordinary. The back of neck sounds different, and hopefully something minor, maybe an abscess. Good luck.
Posted By: angelsrock Re: lymph node question - 02-13-2014 04:35 PM
Thank you guys, I called my oral surgeon who is the only doctor I have seen since being diagnosed. I do not have an ENT because I am now on medicaid till 3 months after baby is born and have to get refferals and such to see one, I am working on that one now. He had me come in this am and measured it, it is a lymph node and is about 1 cm by 1.5 cm. He said we will just wait and see, I go back March 5th and if its still enlarged he said they will remove it and run a pathology. Argh!!! I hate the wait and see game.
Posted By: angelsrock Re: lymph node question - 02-13-2014 04:52 PM
FYI.. I have no idea why there is an emoticon with a huge grinning face for this topic, I am guessing I accidently did something. Lol oops
Posted By: Cheryld Re: lymph node question - 02-13-2014 09:31 PM
I would work on the referral to an ENT. That is where you should be when you have any form of H&N cancer. Texas has one of the best CCCs in the states MD Anderson. An oral surgeon is good for quick things, but in all honesty you need to see an ENT. Call the dr. Get the referral. Lymphnodes swell for many reasons, and it could be an infection or something but you need to know this for sure. The wait and see doesn't sit well with me. On the back of your head would be unusual, but cancer moves in mysterious ways sometimes. And even an ENT doesn't always have a lot of experience with H&N cancer, you need someone familiar with it.

We lost a woman here the same day Whitney Houston died - All I remember was her telling me they did the surgery, removed some nodes and told her she was cured,a node popped up a while later - she waited a bit to have it checked and when she did go to have it looked at they found out it was cancerous, and another 20 beside it were also full of cancer - when the pathology came back. I still remember her telling me... I guess I waited too long to have it checked out.

She is the second person I know with that story. The other one is still fighting, but he's newly diagnosed. Not every ENT knows cancer. You need an ENT who specializes in cancer.

Don't get me wrong oral surgeons are great, but they do what they do.

hugs.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: lymph node question - 02-13-2014 10:58 PM
I eliminated the big grin. I agree, not very appropriate for a serious subject.

Glad to hear you got checked out already. I dont like hearing you have to wait for 3 weeks before getting checked again. Might not be a bad idea to get a second opinion on this.
Posted By: neversmoke Re: lymph node question - 02-13-2014 11:56 PM
I never wasted a single day. I had no designated PCP. The moment I came across, I have a guest at my door, I met my first ENT called GOOGLE. Without any referral I arranged multiples opinions from four different CCCs. Sort of DIY. Good luck to you Angel. I wish all goes well and ends in a wrong hypothesis after you meet an ENT.
Posted By: angelsrock Re: lymph node question - 02-14-2014 03:53 PM
Thank you guys, I was a dissapointed by the wait and see as well, I thought of just paying to see an ENT but then I wouldnt be able to afford any tests. Wish there was a way to spead up the refferal process but at least I am getting one. I am thinking I will call and reschedule my appointment and just tell them I need something sooner, hopefully that will work. That way at least maybe I am only waiting a week or a week and a half to have scheduling for it to be removed and tested. The other issue is I am coming into my 35 week of pregnany, this was the last thing I needed to worry about but at the very least I can be thankful that if it is bad news, I wont have to worry about pregnancy preventing treatment anf proper testing.
Posted By: sophie theriault Re: lymph node question - 02-15-2014 12:23 AM
Hi Angel, do everything in your power to see the ENT sooner. they are the ones who can do a CT scan, read it and know what to do next. Hoping it is inflamation or an infection but you need to know for sure. Yes call, tell the receptionist you need to speak to the doctor if they don't book you a referal sooner.
Thoughts are with you, Sophie
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: lymph node question - 02-17-2014 10:52 AM
Oh Angel - I'm so sorry you are having to go thru all this stress, but please listen to Sophie and everyone else above and get to the ENT. Doctors and their office people have a way of moving appointments around and getting you in sooner. If you are too gentle and compliant with the way they treat you, they may not realize how serious this is. Cry a little if you have to. Or have someone close to you, call and be forceful (but polite) about getting a sooner appointment. When my son was first diagnosed, he had an appointment two weeks away and I was such a basket case that I even had trouble talking on the phone and making myself understood, so when my son's ex-wife called to see how my son was doing, and saw the state I was in, she called and got the appointment moved up to the next business day (from Friday to Monday)! You deserve the very best treatment and so does your expected baby. Get back to us and let us know what's happening. DO IT!
Posted By: angelsrock Re: lymph node question - 02-20-2014 05:33 PM
I am trying but luck is not on my side at the moment. Nothing has worked.. even my PCP appointment got messed up, it was suppose to be Wednesday but they had a fill in who scheduled me and she messed it up and made it for next week. I told them it wasnt fair, she confirmed it with me... they basically just said oh well and wouldnt see me till next week. I cried in the office because its all so frustrating, I just need a referral to an ENT. I am just trying not to dwell on it now because I started giving myself panic attacks again. I tried to move up my oral surgeon appt. but he wont be in the office all next week. So I just decided if it bothers me to much, the waiting that is I could always go to ER and see if I can get something accomplished that way.. but with 2 little ones thats the last thing I want to do.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: lymph node question - 02-20-2014 09:26 PM
I would ask to speak directly to the doctor about the appointment mix up. Often the doctor doesnt know about those types of things. Many times the office staff are like rabid dogs guarding the appointment book and the doc has no idea a patient desperately needs their help. The squeaky wheel is who gets the action so stand up for yourself and in a nice way demand better of them. Im all for advocating for yourself but always be careful with your tone and manner, kindness and tactfulness usually will win them over to take a few seconds to understand your situation and empathize with you. I agree, if it gets too bad go to the ER for help. Nobody should suffer and not see a doc when they are in this kind of situation.

Hang in there!
Posted By: angelsrock Re: lymph node question - 02-26-2014 05:08 PM
Hey guys, just a quick update. I went to urgent care and he said he was surprised I even found it and put me on anitbiotics. Yeah... that didnt go so well. However had my PCP appt. she was great, she said she saw it when she walked into the room. Amazing how two people can have such different opinions. I have my referral for ENT, said it would take 3-5 days to process with an order for a neck ultrasound when I get in. She did some blood work as well because she thinks it could possibly be my thyroid. I am just happy to have care without being looked at as a crazy hypochondriac. Thanks so much and will let you all know my results when its all said and done.
Posted By: Maria Re: lymph node question - 02-27-2014 12:55 AM
Jessica
glad your appointment will be soon and that you have a good PCP (who is apparently NOT vision impaired). Best wishes to you and your kids.
Maria
Warning: Doctor Joke.

What do you call the person who graduated at the top of their class? Doctor.
What do you call the person who graduated at the bottom of their class. Doctor.
Posted By: sophie theriault Re: lymph node question - 03-11-2014 06:35 PM
Hi Jessica, Just sending toughts to you and your family. How are you? I sure hope you have help for you and all the children.
Posted By: angelsrock Re: lymph node question - 04-03-2014 02:42 PM
Hey guys, no one wanted to do anything till baby was born, he was born on the 20th, 7lbs 14 oz and healthy (thank God). Lymph Node is still enlarged so I have a date set for April 17, they are just going to take it out and send it for biopsy. I am hoping its nothing but if it turns out to be cancer then I have to go through radiation and possibly chemo with it. Very nervous about all of it, but hoping for the best. Thanks so much!
Posted By: Bart Re: lymph node question - 04-07-2014 03:41 PM
Congratulations on the birth of you son, Angelsrock! That he was born healthy is a real blessing that all too many people overlook. Your current situation gives you a new perspective on how precious good health is, one you are not likely ever to forget.

I know it won't be easy to put your upcoming surgery and biopsy out of your mind, but now you have an alternate point that you can focus your mental energy upon; that being your new born, healthy son.

Focus on the happiness that is unique to motherhood, and when you start to feel blue, banish those thoughts with that happiness. No one and nothing can take that from you.

And when your thoughts turn to your own condition, channel them into a firm resolve to beat this cancer, no matter what it takes.

Do not let worry creep into your thoughts. It will try, but by being vigilant, you can firmly take charge and turn those thoughts into understanding that what will be, will be; and whatever that is, you are going to get through it and be there for your son.

Best of luck to you and your family,

Bart
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: lymph node question - 04-07-2014 07:14 PM
So happy for you and the birth of your beautiful, healthy baby boy! Glad things are progressing better than they were before and that everything goes well on the 17th.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum