Posted By: portland72 Are FGD and SUV the same thing - 09-29-2013 11:49 PM
What's the difference between FDG and SUV?
Posted By: Shane's Re: Are FGD and SUV the same thing - 09-30-2013 04:11 AM
SUV is the measure of FGD taken up by the tissue. FGD is the chemical. I hope that your tors biopsy comes back as conclusively negative so that you may test easy.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Are FGD and SUV the same thing - 09-30-2013 01:02 PM
YUP... shane is right... ;o)and I agree hope everything comes back clear.
Posted By: PaulB Re: Are FGD and SUV the same thing - 09-30-2013 01:23 PM
FDG...Fludeoxyglucose
SUV...Standardized Uptake Value
Posted By: portland72 Re: Are FGD and SUV the same thing - 09-30-2013 01:48 PM
Okay, so confusing. Why did my report show SUV, but stated no FDG uptake for malignancy? Confused?
Posted By: Shane's Re: Are FGD and SUV the same thing - 09-30-2013 01:54 PM
Because the doctors who read the scans are far more educated than anyone else to interpret them and your minimal SUV uptake must have acted in a way that did not indicate cancer to the radiologist. SUV doesn't always mean cancer. See my post in your other thread about lingual tonsil SUV averages.
Posted By: PaulB Re: Are FGD and SUV the same thing - 09-30-2013 02:13 PM
Shane's is right. many factors are involved, and way too complicated for my taste. FDG-18 is the glucose tracer injected before the scan, which distrubutes throughout the body to highlight possible cancer, being tumors like suck up glucose. None of my PET/CT scans, I had 12 or so, sound exactly like these, and each facility is different too, and SUV would be the uptake from the FDG injection given, and would be repetive, and doesn't need to be said. It's like writing, there are many ways to tell the same story, and end the same.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum