Posted By: PurpleBubbles How to get a DX - 03-15-2013 02:43 PM
I am a 39 year old female with no health insurance. My husband was laid off from his job and cobra ran out. He took a job with a small company (that pays the bills but doesn't offer any benefits including health insurance). I have been seeing a dr here at a clinc here for years (regular family doctor) for a heart problem that I have had my whole life. Now, I have this sore in the back fold of my throat beside my uvula. She had seen this as I go really sick in January ( took 5 different antibiotics including a steroid) she has told me it was nothing but an ulcer or from sinus or reflux. She even treated me for thrush I know it's something more. There is a lump beside it and it bleeds a little sometimes. I'm having trouble getting into see an ENT because of the insurance thing. should I go to the emergency room or just wait for her office to call me back with a referral that I requested 2 weeks ago?
Posted By: donfoo Re: How to get a DX - 03-15-2013 02:53 PM
Hi Bubbles,

Call your county public health department and they can direct you as the what services are available to you based on your specific situation; primarily income and assets drive the assessment. Obviously, the less of both you have the greater chance you have of qualifying for some safety net medical program. Do get on it sooner rather than later as any treatment you receive while not covered will result in your mailbox getting flooded with bills so you want to have some program being a shield to deflect the bills away from you. Good luck.
Posted By: PaulB Re: How to get a DX - 03-15-2013 03:23 PM
Also, many hospitals have programs to help the non insured, so you can call them directly too. A social worker there, may even coordiante benefits available with city, state, federal government programs. Good luck.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: How to get a DX - 03-15-2013 05:49 PM
If the sore has been there for over 2 weeks and has not heeled then it needs to be checked by a professional. I suggest finding an ENT who specializes in oral cancer. With insurance problems it may be tricky finding someone who will work with you.

By going to the ER, it probably wont help. They are there for emergencies and they wouldnt deem this as being an emergency situation. I doubt they would do a biopsy, which is what you will need to find out what the sore is. But try calling different hospitals and ask about programs they offer for charity cases. Many hospitals will offer special programs but they dont advertise these things to everyone, if you dont ask you wont find out about them.

Not all family doctors are familiar with oral cancer so Im not surprised that this spot was not investigated more thoroughly. There are all kinds of free oral cancer screenings going on all over the country during the month of April. While they wouldnt biopsy the sore they can at least check you out and maybe if you are lucky they will know of someplace that will help you even without insurance.

Oral Cancer Screening Events 2013

Good luck!!!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum