Posted By: emilyp Swollen Lymph Node - Freaking out! - 11-06-2012 01:23 AM
I was just eating and noticed a sharp pain in my neck (on the opposite side of my surgery). I felt my neck and was shocked to feel a VERY swollen lymph node. I am so afraid this is a recurrence I am trying to stay calm. Last Thursday marked 1 year since surgery. Has anyone else experienced a swollen lymph node and it turned out NOT to be cancer? I am trying to calm myself and think of other possibilities until I get in to see a doctor. I had two positive lymph nodes removed during my surgery, but I never really noticed any swelling in my neck. The weird thing about this swollen lymph node is that it seemed to come out of no where... and I think the swelling has already gone down a little since I first noticed it about an hour ago. Any advice or comforting thoughts would greatly be appreciated!!
Posted By: KP5 Re: Swollen Lymph Node - Freaking out! - 11-06-2012 02:33 AM
Hi Emily,
I was wondering if the node is hard or soft and whether or not it hurts? Not that it means it's a recurrence either way, I'm just curious.
Try not to panic until you know something. Easier said than done as we all know. How soon can you get to the doctor?
Please keep us posted!
Kathy
Posted By: emilyp Re: Swollen Lymph Node - Freaking out! - 11-06-2012 03:07 AM
It was kind of hard. Strange thing is though, the swelling went down completely! I can't figure out what caused the sudden inflammation, but I am starting to breath easier, as I don't think the swelling would have gone down if it was cancer. I am still going to call my doctor tomorrow to be on the safe side. I feel like nowadays I am just sitting around waiting for it to come back... I know I shouldnt think like that, but I don't want to let my guard down and then it come back and i am not mentally prepared.

Anyway, thanks for your concern kathy! i will let you all know what the doctor says
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Swollen Lymph Node - Freaking out! - 11-06-2012 03:24 AM
It could be a sign of infection of some sort. Since it appeared out of nowhere and resolved itself equally as fast its probably nothing serious.
Posted By: KP5 Re: Swollen Lymph Node - Freaking out! - 11-06-2012 12:46 PM
That sounds like a good sign!! I agree it would be strange for it to go away. Glad you're going to follow up anyway though.
As far as living with the worry...we all do it. Kevin checks his nodes every night in the shower. It is the new normal. We try to live and love like heck right now because we really don't have any guarantees for the future, but, really, nobody does. You are not alone in your thought process my dear!
Keep in touch,
Kathy
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Swollen Lymph Node - Freaking out! - 11-06-2012 10:01 PM
Hi there I was going to say get to the dr. immediately do not pass go and do not collect 200- but in light of the fact the swelling is going down and you are seeing him or her then I will say good luck hopefully it's just an infection.
Posted By: emilyp Re: Swollen Lymph Node - Freaking out! - 11-11-2012 05:20 PM
Hi I just wanted to fill you all in! I spoke with my doctor, and the swelling was due to a stone in my salivary gland duct... I think it is a side effect of radiation, but nothing serious. I noticed it when I was eating, which is when your mouth secretes more saliva, and the stone caused a blockage, causing it to swell. I massaged it down though and it went away! So, if this happens to any of you, don't worry!
Posted By: KP5 Re: Swollen Lymph Node - Freaking out! - 11-12-2012 03:26 AM
Great to hear all is well!! Hope you are breathing easier. Our new normal...ain't it grand!!
Kathy
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Swollen Lymph Node - Freaking out! - 11-12-2012 01:10 PM
Great news!!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Swollen Lymph Node - Freaking out! - 11-12-2012 02:01 PM
Heavy sigh of relief! smile
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum