Posted By: curly Epstein-Barr Syndrome - 10-19-2012 01:33 PM
Does anyone know if there is a link to oral cancer and Epstein Barr? I was diagnosed with this when I was I guess @ 21 so I did a quick google search and saw some studies done on the connection. I have had this cancer 3 times, all following traumatic events in my life when my immunity would have been low. Just curious, thanks!
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Epstein-Barr Syndrome - 10-19-2012 09:05 PM
I believe we have discussed that topic before and you can always scrool down to the bottom of this page and click on SEARCH and type in whatever you want and it will take to discusssions from the Oral Cancer Foundation experts.
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Epstein-Barr Syndrome - 10-20-2012 12:40 AM
It is definitely the main cause of nasopharyngeal cancers, not far removed from the oral cavity. It's links to mucosal cancers of the mouth is not firmly establish, but not unmentioned as a possibility in the literature since we know it can be oncogenic in certain people. It is also associated with other forms of cancer, such as Hodgkin's lymphoma, Burkitt's lymphoma, nasopharyngeal carcinoma, and central nervous system lymphomas associated with HIV exposure. When not a direct cause it can be a precursor to the development of these cancers.

Most people exposed to it through salivary contact develop immune system antibodies to it and it causes no further issues. It is wildly common (more than HPV) and about 90% of all tested adults show previous exposure to it, through the presence of antibodies produced by their immune systems. It causes about half of all the infectious mononucleosis cases that teenagers get. For all that we do now about it, much like HPV16, EBV is a relatively complex virus, and is not yet fully understood.
Posted By: curly Re: Epstein-Barr Syndrome - 10-20-2012 10:06 AM
Sorry, thanks David I will do a search. Brian thanks for that information.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum