Posted By: dsing Issue under tongue ?? - 08-10-2012 03:06 PM
I'm new here also. I'm hoping someone can give me some insight into my issue.
First, I am undergoing extensive dental work right now. The hygienist had checked my tongue, etc. for any issues about a month ago and nothing was found. I have had a small bump I can feel with my tongue on the lingual frenulum below my front teeth. In the past it has somewhat gotten a little swollen. I could press on it and it would go down but sometimes swell again. Recently I punctured it and it bled a little and now is white in that area (I'm assuming it's healing). I'm using salt water rinses to heal the area. Does anyone know what this could be? Could it be a blocked duct? I'm hoping it MAY be something simple. I have smoked for a long time...yuk!!! Have tried to quit unsuccessfully. I don't get a fuzzy feeling w/the dentist doing my work right now, so I'd rather pursue other avenues for help. Thank you.
Posted By: dsing Re: Issue under tongue ?? - 08-10-2012 03:07 PM
Also, the little bump doesn't always seem prominent...just sometimes.
Posted By: dsing Re: Issue under tongue ?? - 08-10-2012 03:09 PM
This has been noticeable to me for a few years now.
Posted By: dsing Re: Issue under tongue ?? - 08-10-2012 03:58 PM
Also, if anyone has any input, I would really, really appreciate it as I'm quite nervous about this. Thank you!!!!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Issue under tongue ?? - 08-10-2012 05:04 PM
First, calm down! Any sore that comes and goes is likely not cancer. If a sore has been in your mouth for at least 2 weeks and not gone way then its time to get checked by a professional. I would suggest seeing an ENT (ear, nose and throat doc). I would doubt that a cancerous tumor would be in your mouth for years without you having any other serious consequences.

Smoking.... you probably already know what Im going to say. QUIT!!!! Let this be your wake up call. There are hundreds of chemicals which are irritants added to tobacco products. Any one of them alone could be whats bothering your mouth. Many of these irritants are known cancer causing agents. I am a former smoker myself. I quit cold turkey when I was on my way to get a feeding tube. Stupidity is why I am now disfigured and live a very different life than before I got sick. I almost died all because I smoked. Dont let this happen to you. Call 1 800 quit now or check out the CDC's Tips From Former Smokers website. You can see what I look like and why I am telling you to quit. I wouldnt wish oral cancer on my worst enemy!
Posted By: dsing Re: Issue under tongue ?? - 08-10-2012 05:33 PM
Thank you for responding. I have read several of your posts, and you are a very kind, compassionate person. You are helping many people.
I was concerned about the white part right now. I think it may be healing from my puncturing the area (stupid as I am!!). I couldn't figure out why a small bump would become prominent and then subside when pushed on it. Believe me, your posts about quitting smoking are hitting home. But, you are also making me feel somewhat relieved. I guess I need to wait a while to see if the white disappears then. Thank you for all your time and effort on this forum!!!
Posted By: dsing Re: Issue under tongue ?? - 08-10-2012 06:58 PM
Can someone give me insight into the bump that will go down w/pressure?
Posted By: dsing Re: Issue under tongue ?? - 08-10-2012 10:47 PM
Also, the white area is somewhat going away (I think some was from salt water). There is now one oval (round) white spot right in the center with a translucent bubble in the middle. Any ideas?
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Issue under tongue ?? - 08-11-2012 04:25 AM
Sometimes tastebuds swell and such. Try not to worry, wink
Posted By: dsing Re: Issue under tongue ?? - 08-11-2012 11:47 AM
I don't think it's tastebuds because it is on the lingual frenulum, not the tongue.
Right now the white has subsided, I can scrape it off with my finger...so probably from salt water. But there is a small round bubble there at the very end of the frenulum near my gum under the bottom teeth. I was hoping Brian Hill might be able to help as posters have indicated he has a lot of dental knowledge. Thank you!
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Issue under tongue ?? - 08-11-2012 12:39 PM
Not a dentist here but I would resist puncturing and scaping bumps in your mouth. Let your body heal these things the way it's genetically programmed to respond and when that doesn't work then seek the advice of a trained healthcare professional. Try an ENT for another opinion.

And also QUIT as in NEVER EVER USE TOBACCO AGAIN. There are many many people that can never complain again about quiting because
they are dead from tobacco.
Posted By: dsing Re: Issue under tongue ?? - 08-11-2012 04:00 PM
I know it's stupid to be touching and fooling w/my mouth....I just get really anxious. I had wanted to see if the white would come off. Anyway, any thoughts on the area that has a transparent spot?...Brian, if you're available? Of course, I know people here can't make a firm diagnosis....just your thoughts. Something that could steer me in some type of direction, relieve my mind or indicate I should see an ENT asap. I was hoping to wait 10 days or so to see what it's like then. Thank you for all your input!!! Also, the drilling me about quitting smoking helps....I'm cutting back right now....and do hope to quit ASAP.
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Issue under tongue ?? - 08-12-2012 02:20 AM
Dsing: The way I see it, you have two choices:

1) You could wait a few days and see how your body heals the area in question. Don't poke at it. You might make it worse. OR

2) You could cut down on a LOT of anxiety if you get yourself to an ENT or an oral surgeon who has experience with oral cancer. The sooner you do it, the sooner you can relieve the anxiety you are experiencing.

It could very well be nothing serious, but I don't do anxiety very well, so if it were me I would pick #2. And PLEASE quit the tobacco. Just DO it!

Posted By: dsing Re: Issue under tongue ?? - 08-12-2012 01:16 PM
For anyone's input on possibilities....today the area is a small spot like a translucent bubble (pimple) on the lingual frenulum near the gum area. It seems to be less irritated with less white around it.

It seems as though I have seen this before....and that it has come and gone???? But, I can't remember. Christine has said that if I have had issues for a few years that I would have noticed some noticeable problems within that time frame.

I'm nervous about finding out what it is....really nervous. We only seem to have a few ENT's in our area.
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Issue under tongue ?? - 08-12-2012 02:08 PM
My advice is also to go see a doctor or a dentist who can look at your oral lesion. But since you just want "possibilities", here is a link to almost all of them with pictures
A Guide to Common Oral Lesions
Or a nice powerpoint in Pdf
Lumps & Bumps 101
I'm sympathetic here but really you need to see a doctor or dentist or you will drive yourself crazy

Charm
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Issue under tongue ?? - 08-12-2012 02:28 PM
1. Stop looking at it;

2. Stop trying to diagnose it;

3. Stop violating it;

4. Make an appt w/ an ENT first thing tomorrow; and

5. Stop using tabacco....cutting back is not quitting. Telling yourself that you will NEVER use tobacco EVER again and following thru is the ONLY definition of quitting acceptable.
Posted By: dsing Re: Issue under tongue ?? - 08-12-2012 03:12 PM
Thanks for the links. Yes, I am going to go crazy!!! I can see where there are too many possibilities to give me some type of indication here. I'm just nervous!!!
Posted By: EricS Re: Issue under tongue ?? - 08-12-2012 05:04 PM
D,

your nervous reaction is actually hurting your immune system due to hormone response. Chill the f out, take the steps David laid out for you above as it's all you can do. Worry, stress, obsessing is just going to hurt you physically, mentally and emotionally. Get a Xanax or ask a hippie friend for a brownie and watch some cartoons dude, or Pineapple Express, whatever takes your mind off of it until you get answers.
Posted By: dsing Re: Issue under tongue ?? - 08-12-2012 07:00 PM
Well, I'm a little shocked by this last reaction to my posts. Some info. is helpful, but I'm not about to take anything to put me in a zombie zone. I've noticed other posters have been very anxious too, so it's not unusual.
Posted By: EricS Re: Issue under tongue ?? - 08-12-2012 07:14 PM
D,

I'll apologize as you don't know my sense of humor nor posting style...lighten up is the message
Posted By: dsing Re: Issue under tongue ?? - 08-12-2012 08:04 PM
Ok, Eric, thanks....understand what you're saying. Hope you're doing well and thanks for the input!
Posted By: dsing Re: Issue under tongue ?? - 08-13-2012 06:11 PM
Here's an update (kind of). The area on the end of the lingual frenulum under my teeth towards the gum looks like a very small spot and is translucent. There doesn't appear to be white (from what I can tell). I am continuing to have dental work done this week. Both the hygienist and dentist saw the area closely today, and I'm scheduled to return tomorrow. The dentist did not say anything to me (yet anyway). I would think he would say something if there were an issue ??? I'm not being forthright because I'm scared.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Issue under tongue ?? - 08-14-2012 12:48 AM
Unfortunately not all dentists are familiar with oral mouth problems including something as serious as oral caner. Dentists treat teeth and many focus on cosmetics.

The rule goes if you have a sore in your mouth that has been there for 2 weeks or more then it is time to get it checked by a professional. I would suggest seeking out an ENT who deal with oral cancer. They will be the best place to go to get diagnosed. A patient cant always expect their doctor or dentist to mind read, a patient needs to speak up and be their own advocate. By being silent about your situation it is NOT helping you. Several members including myself have told you what needs to be done. All we can do is give you advice, its up to you to follow thru and take care of yourself.

I hope you have stopped smoking and given your mouth a chance to heal.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum