Posted By: CubanKeith HPV and Kissing - 06-19-2012 05:11 AM
Hi just a simple new thread that has probably been done to death before. I have HPV interstingly I still await the biopse how do they not know it is not Planus Lincus??? "2nd week of Chemo no sickness anyone want a Chemo boast contest?
Should I be kissing my 2 and 3 year old beautful daughters?
Ruby is my Gardian Angel she cuddles me and pats my back. She has been massaging my Lymph Node from before I new I was sick? Children are beautiful. Should I share a glass of juice with them? Daft questions I know but it is hard coping with such a scarey illness with such a simple start> Kung Fu Panda 11 "I love you Guys"
Today I am making Puppy faces out of recycled yogurt snap cartons.As veiwed on BBC ART ATTACK. Cuddle your cancer and send it away never to return.
Posted By: vaibhav Re: HPV and Kissing - 06-19-2012 07:40 AM
transmission of HPV only happens during open mouth kisses due to interaction of saliva. so kissing your daughters on their cheeks is not likely to get them infected. sharing juice?? ya. maybe avoid it just to be sure.
Posted By: EricS Re: HPV and Kissing - 06-19-2012 01:01 PM
Keith,

This last week I attended a lecture by Dr. Edmond Truelove, former chair of Oral Medicine at the University of Washington, on Oral Cancer at the Pacific Northwest Dental Convention in Seattle that went over his recent oral cancer research which included dysplastic conditions in the oral cavity.

It was really quite fascinating and I learned a lot about dysplasia (Lichen Planus, lichenoid reactions etc) as it pertains to oral cancer. HPV+ oral cancer develops in the Base of Tongue area and rear oropharynx (tonsils etc) in an area that is hard to detect and no visible early warning signs like dysplasia that we currently know. There has also been no evidence that I've seen that indicates the virus can be transmitted via saliva or kissing.

That being said, there are a lot more questions than answers when it comes to Oral Cancer obviously so vigilance and precaution, if only for peace of mind, makes sense. I wouldn't let it consume me in anyway, however I would make sure to get regular checkups with a Dental Oncologist or ENT that uses a VELscope screening device to monitor the dysplasia and keep a photo record of it to monitor changes etc.

Posted By: davidcpa Re: HPV and Kissing - 06-19-2012 01:45 PM
I was told by Dr Anna Giuliano, Chair, Dept of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, who I have traveled with and given speeches with, that HPV is highly contagious and can be transmitted via deep throat kissing so I agree Vaibhav's post. I also agree that more about HPV is NOT known than is known.

CubanKeith, how do you know that your cells are positive for HPV if the biopsy isn't finished?

Adding a Signature Line would be most helpful if you plan to continue to post.
Posted By: EricS Re: HPV and Kissing - 06-19-2012 01:56 PM
Thanks for that info David, I'll have to read her research on it. It's scary talking to these great minds and understanding what they don't know about this disease.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: HPV and Kissing - 06-19-2012 02:05 PM
Eric,

It's also been 1.5 years since she made that comment to me and a lot can change in that time frame medically speaking. I also question his HPV status and without a Signature Line it's really hard sometimes to answer a post. It's also quite possible that EVEN if he is/was HPV+ that he is no longer but anyway I thought the best way to answer his post was conservatively.
Posted By: EricS Re: HPV and Kissing - 06-19-2012 04:32 PM
well considering your age, ethnicity, and occupation David, I'd say conservative would define you in many ways

laugh sorry couldn't resist!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: HPV and Kissing - 06-19-2012 07:46 PM
Hmmm.... if the biopsy is on lichen planus (or an area where you would find it) likely it's not HPV related because usually that's on the mouth, no?

In answer to the original question how do they know it's not lichen planus... a biopsy will tell you...

;o)
Posted By: davidcpa Re: HPV and Kissing - 06-19-2012 08:52 PM
My point exactly, without the bio results how can one state that they are HPV, conversatively speaking, of course.

Man talk about occupational profiling!
Posted By: EricS Re: HPV and Kissing - 06-20-2012 01:46 PM
smile Profiling is interesting, you can tell a lot about a person by such small things as the words and phrases they choose, how one dresses etc. The occupation, age and ethnicity are the easy, more general indicators. Sorry I've watched entirely too many episodes of Criminal Minds.

Posted By: davidcpa Re: HPV and Kissing - 06-21-2012 01:24 PM
So now I'm a Conservative Criminal? Will this abuse never end? Remember you are just a Young Frack but I am THE CoolFrack.
Posted By: EricS Re: HPV and Kissing - 06-22-2012 05:47 AM
right you are David!
Posted By: David2 Re: HPV and Kissing - 06-22-2012 03:52 PM
I'm not a frack; I'm more of a fruck.
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: HPV and Kissing - 06-22-2012 08:30 PM
Od Frack, Young Frack, Cool Frack, Fruck - you are all Cool! cool
Posted By: Ingrid K Re: HPV and Kissing - 06-23-2012 03:25 AM
Anne-Marie, there is NO WAY I could have typed that successfully, lol.
Posted By: David2 Re: HPV and Kissing - 06-23-2012 02:52 PM
I once was a very young frack,
Till I suffered a lymph node attack;
So they slit up my gullet,
Just like a red mullet,
But since then it's never been back!
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: HPV and Kissing - 06-23-2012 10:33 PM
Cool poetry! How about "Frack Attack" for a title?
Posted By: Alcajazz Re: HPV and Kissing - 07-04-2012 06:49 AM
Hi all, I've just caught up on the many conversations on HPV. I can see it's been an active topic! One question that I didn't see answered was if anyone knew the accuracy of the oral HPV test that is offered at many dentist's office. You gargle a saline solution for 30 seconds that is then sent in for PCR testing. It tests for many genotypes. Does anyone have any insights? Does it measure a point in time? i.e if negative, you've never been exposed or don't have active infection. If positive, active infection that may clear?

Any knowledge appreciated!

Thanks,

Posted By: Leslie B Re: HPV and Kissing - 07-04-2012 12:31 PM
[quote=Alcajazz]One question that I didn't see answered was if anyone knew the accuracy of the oral HPV test that is offered at many dentist's office. You gargle a saline solution for 30 seconds that is then sent in for PCR testing. It tests for many genotypes. Does anyone have any insights? Does it measure a point in time? i.e if negative, you've never been exposed or don't have active infection. If positive, active infection that may clear?[/quote]
The test has been discussed in this thread. My dentist offers it, but notes that it is of limited use because it does measure only a specific point in time.
Posted By: CubanKeith Re: HPV and Kissing - 08-17-2012 04:53 AM
CubanKeith
Still in the casa? Hey David and Eric having a good chat.People say I stereo type why not, I can call it profiling from now on.For a catch up I asked and got the biopsy it is HPV 16. I am entering week 10 for 4th Bag Cisplatin and 2 more weeks radiation.I feel like jimmy Cagnay in the movie?"Boys Town" they will be taking me down the corridor screaming I am so scared of how this has built in me, also in LONDON i have spoke with a DR who treats feet and hand papilomas with Candula, he was doing research into seeing if HPV responed to Marigold therapy, well I have my herbal mouth wash. I hope my post has come up and is sort of clear?
I love my PEG forcing food down led to rotten food and nasty mouth, I drink water for swallowing and use my PEG for sustainace. My PICC will come out and I can consider swimming again soon.
My helpful hint is use a Nebulizer for clearing Gunk in throat and mouth.
Medals to every one who has gone through Chemo radiation so many heros.
" Little pain for the long term gain" from another user thanks.
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: HPV and Kissing - 08-17-2012 02:14 PM
cuban keith

Still living La vida loca eh.? You are a continuing source of education for me on the latest and greatest homeopathic fake remedies. I hope in this case, you are talking about a real compound of Marigold/Calendula, which is not the homeopathic one peddled on the internet at all but actually fabricated from a plant of the marigold family, Calendula officinalis. The digest is obtained by incubation at 75�C in petroleum jelly to extract the liposoluble components of the plant. A small study in France showed that an ointment made this way (instead of the homeopathic fallacy of diluting it to nothing with water)showed benefits for radiation dermatitis on female breast cancer patients after radiation.
That study was done back in 2004 by the manufacturer of the ointment and I can't find any other studies since then which is a shame. I haven't see anything about it working on HPV, but the internet claims it cures most everything, which is usually not a good sign.
BTW: Jimmy Cagney was never in the movie Boys Town, the tough kid character Whitey Marsh was played by Mickey Rooney
Charm
Posted By: David2 Re: HPV and Kissing - 08-20-2012 01:58 AM
Charm, I remember reading something about the, ahem, efficacy of homeopathic dilution, to the effect that one of the more popular solutions contains something akin to one molecule of whatever the heck the original stuff was in a volume about equal to that of our solar system.

Hello molecule..... where are you....?
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: HPV and Kissing - 08-21-2012 02:40 PM
Re the efficacy of homeopathic dilution, a recent OCF news article (http://oralcancernews.org/wp/category/oral_cancer_news/) mentions that:
<<An extract found in the bright yellow curry spice turmeric can kill off cancer cells, scientists have shown. The chemical � curcumin � has long been thought to have healing powers and is already being tested as a treatment for arthritis and even dementia>>
I suppose this mean that the spice turmeric that I just put in my bread and butter pickles (1/2 tsp in three 16oz jars) isn't really going to have any effect on my arthritis? Nor kill off any cancer cells that might be lurking around?
Posted By: David2 Re: HPV and Kissing - 08-21-2012 04:14 PM
Anne-Marie, methinks there's a big difference between the ongoing research that is showing some correlation between things like turmeric having an effect on cancer cells, or anything else for that matter, and the philosophy of homeopathy, which as far as I'm concerned is a great way for some people to make money from gullible idiots.

If you're interested in researching the latter I'm sure there are numerous sites and studies available.
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: HPV and Kissing - 08-21-2012 05:15 PM
David2

I assumed that Anne-Marie was just continuing your humorous approach to debunking homeopathy. My assumption was based on her unwavering support in PMs to me when I am attacked on the forum by the magical thinking brigade .
I really do appreciate your and others chiming in whenever the latest woo woo pops up. You and she have a lighter touch that may help get the message across better than my righteous and didactic responses. After I get my biopsy report, I'm planning on a new thread in the adjunctive forum, where I will excerpt from blogs exposing these alternative or woo woo or quackademic treatments. Some of the comments to those blogs actually make my posts look meek and mild .
CubanKeith is really a good guy who never tries to defend or argue about these wacky remedies/treatments that his friends and acquaintances share with him. I meant it when I said he is a CLE for me as there are so many false hope peddlers and new age charlatans out there. I was deluged with most of them by well meaning but gullible friends and colleagues at first until I chided them so some of the ones he mentions were new to me.
Charm
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: HPV and Kissing - 08-22-2012 12:25 AM
You assumed correctly, Charm. And we really do need your "righteous and didactic responses"! Looking forward to the new thread in the plans.
Posted By: CubanKeith Re: HPV and Kissing - 08-24-2012 01:46 AM
Charm 2017
Hey old timer, if the movie was not boys town i am sure it had Cagney after a chat with the priest, anyhow I defer to your age and movie wisdom. Many night I am looking for a classic old movie suggestions happily recieved. I am on week 11 of Chemo and 5 of heavy radiation, I would still be cracking jokes if it did not split the side of my lips. I am staying staight on the hard path as adviced and supported in this great forum. The candula is from a decent supplier and tastes alittle more pleasant than some mouth rinses.
Keep up the good work,
Keith
Posted By: EzJim Re: HPV and Kissing - 08-28-2012 12:45 AM
Very helpful David. As for kissing, no way for me as I couldn't if I tried. No jaw is tough as some of us know. It changes your life big time. Keep up the good work guys.
Posted By: Maria Re: HPV and Kissing - 08-28-2012 03:45 AM
Keith and Charm - I asked my husband and he thinks you may be thinking of Angels with Dirty Faces.
Posted By: EzJim Re: HPV and Kissing - 08-28-2012 03:09 PM
All of Cagney's movies were good but I agree with Charm. Boys Town can be eliminated.
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: HPV and Kissing - 08-28-2012 06:41 PM
Maria

thank your husband for me. Indeed Angels with Dirty Faces (1938) has Cagney as Rocky Sullivan, the bad kid and Pat O'Brien as Jerry Connolly, Cagney's childhood friend who has become a Priest and Humphrey Bogart as the crooked lawyer. I should have thought of it since that movie has one of my favorite lawyer quotes
[quote]Cagney as Rocky Sullivan: [to Jim Frazier played by Humphrey Bogart] Look, I know you're a smart lawyer - very smart - but don't get smart with me. [/quote]
Plus I'm pretty sure the quote that Cuban Keith referenced was Cagney's
R[quote]ocky Sullivan: No! I don't want to die! Oh, please! I don't want to die! Oh, please! Don't make me burn in hell. Oh, please let go of me! Please don't kill me! Oh, don't kill me, please![/quote]
charm
Posted By: KenEggman Re: HPV and Kissing - 09-26-2012 04:09 AM
Very good question! I wonder if my wife should receive a HPV shot or other treatment to reduce chance of SCC HN. I am survivor of SCCHN HPV+. My doctors have never suggested she should seek any treatment. Thoughts? Thanks!!
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: HPV and Kissing - 09-26-2012 01:23 PM
Ken

While CubanKeith's question certainly was a good one, I think you can tell from the rest of the posts on this thread that the answer was given right off the bat: DON'T FRENCH KISS just to be safe. With over 8,000 members here on OCF, I have not seen one post that any of the caregivers got oral cancer from just kissing their patients. My own experience as someone who has gotten oral cancer not just once or twice but three times yet being the recipient and giver of loving kisses from my wife with no transmission of cancer seems typical.
The vaccine is probably a little late for your wife. There was a flurry of scare tactics & hysteria on HPV & kissing at first on some TV shows, just like at the beginning of the AIDs epidemic. Unlike AIDs, HPV is usually handled by a person's immune system and the lack of any documented transmission of oral cancer thru kissing resulted in no more news stories. That's probably why your doctors never suggested any "treatment" (plus I am unaware of any "treatment" for HPV anyway)
On the other hand, it could not hurt for your wife's gynecologist to order an HPV test of her cervix or pap smear.
In addition to oral cancer, HPV does cause cervical cancer.
Those are my thoughts
Charm
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum